Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Softer shocks to replace FT M-force?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
A guy on here had clearance issues (diameter of the shock was to big), in the back. The shocks were not from fulltraction, I cant remember the shock mfg. just FYI. Make sure you check clearances.

I have no clue about the air sensor. I have an 07..
I think it was a procomp shock. The body of the shock got dented in pretty good.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Definitely try dropping your air pressure 1st. I run about 27 psi front, 25.5 psi rear. A few psi can really make a difference.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Oh and if you decide to get rid of your shocks send me a PM, I may be interested in buying them.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had an issue with the shock rubbing but that was due to a relocation bracket
Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the front a couple days before the back and was absolutely in love. All the "dartiness" issues were completely gone (even with 13.5" wide tires) and the ride seemed a quite a bit less harsh over rough pavement. I had a 2.5" bb so it sat perfectly level with the FT on up front.

But with the back swapped out, the rear now sits a little over an inch higher than the front and it's rough as hell. I had to take the hitch mount bike rack off because I couldn't stand the racket from that thing bouncing around- it's a threaded pin that's cranked down tight too.

Are you sure it's the shocks? I don't know much about this stuff, but seems to me that the springs are too stiff. I was planning on emailing FT today to see if they have softer springs available, but didn't get around to it.

I'll check the air pressure in my tires too.

By the way, don't get me wrong. I think this kit is the best made. I was blown away when I saw first hand how beefy the control arms are and eliminating the "dartiness" and reducing the ESP issues were exactly what I needed.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NoCant
I was planning on emailing FT today to see if they have softer springs available, but didn't get around to it.
Do you have the regular springs or the HD springs? I have the standard ones and I'm looking for a set of HD's....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
Do you have the regular springs or the HD springs? I have the standard ones and I'm looking for a set of HD's....
I didn't know I had a choice. Any idea how to find out?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default springs

sadly it sounds like your springs are too stiff, I was actually surprised not to here about this before, I had the same experience you are having with my tj and a pro comp and fabtech lift. if you try bouncing your jeep and it does not move then I think you have a problem with your springs, suspenssion companies would tell you to wait till your springs settle. I just bought a rancho lift. I hope I dont have the same problem. I dont think shocks actually make that huge of a difference. I have driven a jeep missing shocks and I didnt even noticed. if nothing else works I think changing springs would be your best fix.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

The problem that I had with my shocks was isolated to the rear passenger side where upon flexing the FT trackbar relocation bracket was making contact with the shock. If you do change out your shocks, and you have the relocation bracket, make sure that you go to a narrow bodied shock.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NoCant
I didn't know I had a choice. Any idea how to find out?
No idea how to tell visually -- I've never seen the HD's. I'm pretty sure they are not the default option, so as long as you didn't ask for them specifically, you probably have the standard ones.

I'm looking for them because I've added a winch and a heavy rear bumper, and I usually go on longer trips so I'm pretty loaded down. It feels like I could use some stiffer springs at this point, but I was (still am, really) fairly happy with the regular ones in terms of ride quality.

Quick Reply: Softer shocks to replace FT M-force?