Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Softer shocks to replace FT M-force?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softer shocks to replace FT M-force?

I installed my FT Ultimate 4" (Was happy it gave me the extra inch) lift with their M-force shocks about a month ago and I just can't take the overly stiff ride any more! On the road is ridiculous at lower speeds as every bump is exaggerated. Off road is also excessively stiff at speeds under 30 mph. Interestingly enough the faster I drive the smoother it gets but even though I live most of the year in Mexico, I don't plan on doing the baja 1000 so I need to find shocks that are somewhat closer to stock since this is a daily driver.

This is for a 2008 4dr Sahara with 35" Procomp exterrains. I absolutely love the lift and was blown away by how the jeep performed on some good trails in Sedona! I'm not looking for a really soft shock but these are so much stiffer than stock that I'm missing out on the great suspension revolution and feel like I'm driving an old CJ. I race motocross/supercross so the best description is these are like when I take my SX bike setup to suckup the landing of 90' triples on to a mx track with a lot of chatter bumps only a fraction of the travel is used because the compression preload is too stiff. I actually jumped a tabletop with my JK and didn't bottom out even with several feet of air but that is not my intended use.

I think these m-force are for heavier jeeps because when I drove back with it loaded down it drove better. Could I have gotten a bad batch since people seem to love these? Maybe you need heavy bumpers, winches, hardtops,racks,rockguards,etc to weight it down.

It really comes down to not even wanting to drive off road or sometimes even around town as it beats the hell out my wife and 3 year old. This is just to nice a jeep to avoid driving because of poor ride quality. So what other shocks are on the market that will give me a firm (firmer than stock is fine) but not brutally harsh ride?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for Rancho adjustable shocks. they are great and you can adjust it when you want according to the trail condition off road or on road and they are great shocks
Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Let me ask you this question before you go and change shocks. How much air are you putting in your tires? What psi are you running front/rear?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same shocks and thought they might be too stiff too, but I'm positive it's the tires. I can push the truck up and down by hand with light pressure, the shocks seem too soft almost (with a full tank of fuel). I would work on the tire pressure too first.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

you have a 3" to clarify right?

as stated you might have to much air preassure, i run 26 psi in my extreme MT's seems to run smooth. I would watch going with too soft of a shock, it'll cause the jeep to roll the body causing the ESP to kick on.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep

as stated you might have to much air preassure, i run 26 psi in my extreme MT's seems to run smooth. I would watch going with too soft of a shock, it'll cause the jeep to roll the body causing the ESP to kick on.
I'm running around 28psi right now... did you notice much of a difference going down a couple more pounds? Just curious if you had played around with it and tried 28 and then went to 26. My ride isn't too bad, just curious if 2psi would make a noticable difference.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Not sure if it would, at 26 psi, the foot print of the tire is perfect. I have over 10,000 miles on the tires and the tread appears to be even. You can always try it out. and see if you notice a difference.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the posts guys! I've been running 30 all around so I will try it with less air. Is 26 the consensus and likely what Procomp would recommend? I do like how I can take a corner fast without any body roll at all which is why I know these are way stiffer than the stock shocks.

Those Ranchos are one I'm considering as the idea of being able to adjustment them is cool. Has old man emu released shocks for the 4dr JK jet? I've heard these give a softer ride but I hate the bright yellow and would have to paint them if I went that route.

BTW- How are the air sensors supposed to work? Are they programmed for a specific pressure or do they just want to see that all 5 tires are at the same pressure?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep

Yes I got the 3" but it gave me almost 4" in the back and over 5" in the front since it came raked 1.5". The FT lift left it perfectly level.

I want to clarify that I am 150% happy with the quality and finish of all lift components so I don't want to scare anyone away from this great lift.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

A guy on here had clearance issues (diameter of the shock was to big), in the back. The shocks were not from fulltraction, I cant remember the shock mfg. just FYI. Make sure you check clearances.

I have no clue about the air sensor. I have an 07.

Quick Reply: Softer shocks to replace FT M-force?