Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs

Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to put a light wrinkle in my driver quarter panel when I rubbed the stock untrimmed flare on a rock. It's not very noticeable. It actually took me a few days to notice but it's there. Not sure there's a way to guarantee a light fender rub won't wrinkle your sheet metal, no mater which route you choose.

Only idea I have so far that doesn't add tons of weight is to lay up some carbon fiber skins over the exterior sheet metal (very involved process involving making a mold, vacuum bagging...etc) and then doing a color matched bed liner to the side. I would love to believe I have the ambition, time and money to pull that off, but I know me :/

In the mean time, I'm building my own tube fenders after I finish my front bumper project. My stock plastic flares are just too beat up and bent for my taste. Even if I trimmed them they'd look like crap.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bodhi117
Thanks for the feedback. I keep searching for stock takeoffs as i don't want to trim my painted fenders. (I've scraped them up on the trails already and fear that even trimmed I'm just going to keep making them look crappier) I prefer to trim the unpainted if possible and run those. the problem is that shipping costs too much from anyone who has them available.
Check dealer boneyard (they always have some take-offs), local jeep club swap meet, or wrecked vehicle salvage yard. You can find them. All you may need to order are the plastic clips. Can get those off the interweb :-). Fun fact... The jeep liberty clips fit (almost identical) and are a fraction of the cost for some reason.

Quick Reply: Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs