Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs

Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the Rugged Ridge All Terrain Flat Fenders. One of my stock fenders is shattered and can not be trimmed and the Rugged Ridge is plastic and flexible. Has any one seen the Rugged Ridge fenders in person?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bodhi117
Thats exactly why i'm asking, so thank you. I figured i would just leave them at home when i know i'm heading to the trails and still have the small fender. unfortunately i have not seen them in person and would really like to. fenders are down on my list as i have a few more important things to come first. i've seen a few posts about them here but am looking for some honest real world reviews. this is why i love this forum, it makes it easy to research mods and get feedback, good and bad, from others who know. i save my money and always want to make sure that my mods serve function over form. if it looks cool thats just an added bonus
yes these guys are a sponsor here but, after seeing them in person and seeing how poorly they're made, i would never run them. but hey, that's just me.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Robar
I'm thinking about getting the Rugged Ridge All Terrain Flat Fenders. One of my stock fenders is shattered and can not be trimmed and the Rugged Ridge is plastic and flexible. Has any one seen the Rugged Ridge fenders in person?
i've seen them in person and like the way they look so much like trimmed factory fenders. they do feel more brittle than flexible and, if they were to take a hit, i fear they would crack or break instead of bend but, i doubt they would do body damage.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i've seen them in person and like the way they look so much like trimmed factory fenders. they do feel more brittle than flexible and, if they were to take a hit, i fear they would crack or break instead of bend but, i doubt they would do body damage.
I still haven't decided what I'm going to replace my damaged fenders with. I guess you get what you pay for and these fenders are cheaper than body work.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

I still haven't decided what I'm going to replace my damaged fenders with. I guess you get what you pay for and these fenders are cheaper than body work.
i would do it. that or look for a set of factory take offs that you can trim.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes these guys are a sponsor here but, after seeing them in person and seeing how poorly they're made, i would never run them. but hey, that's just me.
I've seen them in person too and the quality isn't there, and they really look like a cheaper plastic.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far I haven't had any problems with the factory fenders. They serve my purpose well and have taken light to medium hits from the trails. They also stayed intact while my wife stood on them to get onto the hood to hook a recovery strap to the tow hook.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. I keep searching for stock takeoffs as i don't want to trim my painted fenders. (I've scraped them up on the trails already and fear that even trimmed I'm just going to keep making them look crappier) I prefer to trim the unpainted if possible and run those. the problem is that shipping costs too much from anyone who has them available.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a set.. I love them because of light weight.. Bend when you slide along wall trails.. and Yes they flap. The under structure doesn't real fit with them so I cut It to the body. The front catch a lot of wind and are now stress cracking at the back/bottom front door area. Just sayin.... Not small cracks either. 8 to 10 inches. I have a warranty issue going and pick the new up tomorrow. I'm thinking about pull them off for the freeway trip down to the shop so they don't fly off.

The new will be reinforced somehow.. Just have to design something
Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do you all think about under coating with a rhino liner or something similar... Or a Couple coats of flex seal to help with the cracking.. Think it'll be enough?

Last edited by unboundmo; 11-12-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs