Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs

Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, i prefer running trimmed factory flares as they are flexible, durable, will bend around rocks and trees or just tear off without doing body damage. conversely, i have personally seen hard fenders like steel tube fenders, thin metal factory like fenders and even hard plastic fenders take a hit and do body damage.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bodhi117
I've been considering the trail mods removable fenders. The full kit seems a little pricey ($750) compared to some but not to others but I like the extra coverage and lines when they're on and can just take them off on the trail and not have to worry about them getting torn up. if anyone is using these and has some opinions please share.
first off, where do you store them after removing them at the trail head. second, have you seen what the quality of them look like up close and in person? if not, i would recommend that you do before you whip out the credit card.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to go for the bushwackers. I hope they can tear off if need be. I would do the sahara chop, but I don't want to risk having them be floppy in the wind like some have complained of. I'll save them for another project down the road or trade them off. As much as I love poison spyder, I had to pass on that mod.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Eddie, do you still run the front fender "structures" (your write-up shows you using them)? How flimsy are chopped fenders without them? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Hey Eddie, do you still run the front fender "structures" (your write-up shows you using them)? How flimsy are chopped fenders without them? Thanks.
yes, i always make sure to run the sub-structure of the front fenders as without them, they would flap a lot in the wind. i have seen some people epoxy and even rivet the fenders to them to ensure they don't flop but, i haven't found that to be necessary. just make sure to keep as much of the sub-structure as possible and i think you will find that to be enough to do the job. even though they are hard, the sub-structure is bolted to a stronger part of the body and will bend and mash up if hit or driven hard into a rock and without doing body damage - ask me how i know.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwaynejeep
I have personal experience with this.

I was going out deer hunting (driving 65 on the highway at 0430) and a deer crossing the road ran broadside into my door. It dented my door and it ripped my rear fender off with it's face

The rear flare peeled off without doing any damage to the body. I got some new plastic clips and was able to re-attach the stock flare for about $10.

I also had to buy a new door handle that the deer broke when it hit it. But that has nothing to do with the rear fender.

I want to get new flat fenders, I'm going with some sort of plastic fender as opposed to the metal ones
I had the same thing happen to me on my birthday last year at 5 am, scared the hell out of me. Dented the door and ripped the driver's rear fender off. A couple clips later and it was back on...deer was a little harder to fix since she lost the battle with the jeep.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yes, i always make sure to run the sub-structure of the front fenders as without them, they would flap a lot in the wind. i have seen some people epoxy and even rivet the fenders to them to ensure they don't flop but, i haven't found that to be necessary. just make sure to keep as much of the sub-structure as possible and i think you will find that to be enough to do the job. even though they are hard, the sub-structure is bolted to a stronger part of the body and will bend and mash up if hit or driven hard into a rock and without doing body damage - ask me how i know.
x2. I didn't get as aggressive trimming mine as some people did but I don't have any flapping.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
first off, where do you store them after removing them at the trail head. second, have you seen what the quality of them look like up close and in person? if not, i would recommend that you do before you whip out the credit card.
Thats exactly why i'm asking, so thank you. I figured i would just leave them at home when i know i'm heading to the trails and still have the small fender. unfortunately i have not seen them in person and would really like to. fenders are down on my list as i have a few more important things to come first. i've seen a few posts about them here but am looking for some honest real world reviews. this is why i love this forum, it makes it easy to research mods and get feedback, good and bad, from others who know. i save my money and always want to make sure that my mods serve function over form. if it looks cool thats just an added bonus
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

That being said, I'm just gonna chop mine! I don't want the added weight.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bodhi117
Thats exactly why i'm asking, so thank you. I figured i would just leave them at home when i know i'm heading to the trails and still have the small fender. unfortunately i have not seen them in person and would really like to. fenders are down on my list as i have a few more important things to come first. i've seen a few posts about them here but am looking for some honest real world reviews. this is why i love this forum, it makes it easy to research mods and get feedback, good and bad, from others who know. i save my money and always want to make sure that my mods serve function over form. if it looks cool thats just an added bonus
I think the guys at Teraflex are running them on Dozercon.

Quick Reply: Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs