Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs

Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flares

The hard fender flares like the Poison Spyder Crusher are advertised as armor. Others argue that the plastic ones are better because they give way instead of bending the body sheet metal. Does any one have personal experience good or bad to sway me one way or the other? I'm upgrading to 35" tires and 2.5" lift for some mild to moderate wheeling in Texas, where I will be moving very soon. This is not a weekend play toy, and does need to survive for the other 27 days a month I will be driving it to and from work. Let me know if there is already a thread about this. Thanks.

Last edited by cosmokramer; 07-10-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way of Life was just tellin somebody on another thread he prefers trimmed stockers cuz worst case scenario and you tear them off on the trail they don't damage the body and you can just put 'em back on after. Personally I have Xenons but haven't gotten into any situations where those are my concerns
Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

I have the bushwacker flares and have only been wheeling once but I bashed them pretty well and they held up. I did change them a little they normally have a seal that double side tapes to the body I changed it to a different trim that doesnt so I can remove them as I see fit.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the stockers so far. Theyve been friendly with rocks and trees and pop right back into place.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its funny really. There never really is a straight answer when it comes to jeep mods for the most part. 90 percent of the time it comes down to intended use. Trimmed fenders are light weight, cheap, and avoid body damage if hit. Two things I don't really care for them about is I think they flutter around a bit although others will argue they don't. Another thing I think they lack is enough strength to push twigs and small brush away from scratching your doors. Bushwackers are rigid enough to push many things that would leave striping back away from your doors.

The rigid tube fenders I think look nice but man is that a bunch of added weight you really don't need.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default personal experience with stock flares

I have personal experience with this.

I was going out deer hunting (driving 65 on the highway at 0430) and a deer crossing the road ran broadside into my door. It dented my door and it ripped my rear fender off with it's face

The rear flare peeled off without doing any damage to the body. I got some new plastic clips and was able to re-attach the stock flare for about $10.

I also had to buy a new door handle that the deer broke when it hit it. But that has nothing to do with the rear fender.

I want to get new flat fenders, I'm going with some sort of plastic fender as opposed to the metal ones
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwaynejeep

I was going out deer hunting (driving 65 on the highway at 0430) and a deer crossing the road ran broadside into my door. It dented my door and it ripped my rear fender off with it's face

The rear flare peeled off without doing any damage to the body. I got some new plastic clips and was able to re-attach the stock flare for about $10.

I also had to buy a new door handle that the deer broke when it hit it. But that has nothing to do with the rear fender.

I want to get new flat fenders, I'm going with some sort of plastic fender as opposed to the metal ones
LOL did you get to tag the dear? Shortest hunt ever.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Plastic Vs Metal

I have the Smittybilt SRC Flares. The way that they connect to the body seems like it could easily bend the metal on the jeep. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default haha

Originally Posted by johnwaynejeep

Were you hunting the deer or was it hunting you lol
Old 07-11-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been considering the trail mods removable fenders. The full kit seems a little pricey ($750) compared to some but not to others but I like the extra coverage and lines when they're on and can just take them off on the trail and not have to worry about them getting torn up. if anyone is using these and has some opinions please share.

Quick Reply: Soft vs Hard durable Fender Flairs