Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

soft top in winter

Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top in winter

How is the soft top in winter... should I get a hard top
Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my soft top when i lived in Boston and had over 3ft of snow on it. No problems or leaks at all, even with the snow melting on top. When driving i would just push on the soft top from inside and all the snow would just fall off
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Croce
I've had my soft top when i lived in Boston and had over 3ft of snow on it. No problems or leaks at all, even with the snow melting on top. When driving i would just push on the soft top from inside and all the snow would just fall off
X2 on pushing the soft top from inside and removing the snow that way! I live in North Jersey and I also have a soft top and the winter is not bad at all. When you have the heat cranking in the Jeep you sometimes have to roll down the windows to cool down. You should be fine with staying warm, and you don't have to worry about the soft top cause it holds up very well. No need to get a hard top, but that is just my opinion.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Well I love the cold so heats not really a problem I'm just wondering how it is with fog and ice and all that but I think it would be fine and from what ur telling me just backs it up
Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always used some bestop protectant too on the soft top before winter time, only like $10 a bottle and keeps your soft top in good condition.
Also after winter use the bestop cleaner to get all the grit,sand and salt out
Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always had a soft top on my jeeps with no problems. And let me tell you, it gets pretty damn cold here in Wisconsin. I would never get a hard top

Originally Posted by SebasCbass
X2 on pushing the soft top from inside and removing the snow that way! I live in North Jersey and I also have a soft top and the winter is not bad at all. When you have the heat cranking in the Jeep you sometimes have to roll down the windows to cool down. You should be fine with staying warm, and you don't have to worry about the soft top cause it holds up very well. No need to get a hard top, but that is just my opinion.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Cool so I should be good
Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my '97 with original soft top, never had a hard top for the thing so it was used and abused every winter up here in canada. Can't speak for the newer model JK soft tops but the old ones kicked ass, tough as nails. Just remember you can't scrap the windows! and
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Soft top is no problem in winter, except for....

DO NOT touch the plastic windows when it is below freezing or even below 45 degrees. The plastic windows get extremely brittle in cold temperatures, but as long as you don't touch them - no problems.

They crack easily if you touch or try to remove snow from them. Just let the snow melt.

JK's have good heaters, so there is no problem with heating a soft-top JK in winter.

Mabar
Old 09-02-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big c
How is the soft top in winter... should I get a hard top
After two winters in Chicago (Garage kept 2008 JK), the snow was never an issue, it's the road salt. The rear "sail panels" looked pretty pale, but the top and windows still looked ok.

This year (My new 2011 JKU) the hard top goes on in the winter!

Quick Reply: soft top in winter