Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft top replacement help!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top replacement help!

So I have a spice colored Rough Country replacement soft top for a 10-14 jku. I am wondering if this will I on the hardware from an 08 jku soft top from the factory.

The reason I ask this is because I am selling my Wildboar fastback hardtop for a soft top and cash. The current offer is with an 08 soft top and hardware. I know the top will work with my 14 jku rubicon but will the new canvas that I have fit on the old hardware? What are the drawbacks of the old hardware for the 07-09 in comparison to the 10-14. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Stick to a reputable soft top you can. The drawbacks of the 07-09 hardware are only an issue if you like to drop the top. I wouldn't even consider it after having a 10 and 13 top on my jeep and experience with the old frames/ hardware.

For what you're selling, you should be able to easily grab a new soft top and still have plenty of cash leftover. Sell that spice top and walk away happy.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! Well I want the spice soft top for my current jeep but I have no hardware. That's why I was asking that. So your saying the 07-09 isn't worth the hassle to get hardware for 10-15 right?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 07-09 clips in over top of the doors on the outside and the newer style just drops in. So they aren't compatible. But with the old style tops, you're more likely to tear the top between the two pieces that clip in at the door surround. I had the old style top on my TJ and was stoked to get the be style on my JK. I sold my used top to someone local and he was beyond happy to get the new style and get rid of the old one.

I've passed up $200 soft tops because they're the old style. I understand you want the spice color and it'll be up to you to decide if the color is worth the hassle of the old hardware.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info man. That really helps my decision. The spice soft top is for the NEW style not the old. I was going to try to fit it in the old hardware that would be traded to me instead of the black one that would come on it but now you helped me decide I am going to pass and look for a new style to get in trade!

Quick Reply: Soft top replacement help!