Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

soft top removal and storage

Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top removal and storage

I want to completely remove my top on my 2012 JKU for the winter. Is it better to unbolt the frame of the top from the roll bar or the bracket that is bolted to the roll bar? I'm assuming the top should be stored in a collapsed position. The side windows and rear window will be stored flat. Are there any cleaners or conditioners that would be a good idea to apply before storage? Is there anything else that should be done?

thanks

Junior
Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by heyjunior
I want to completely remove my top on my 2012 JKU for the winter. Is it better to unbolt the frame of the top from the roll bar or the bracket that is bolted to the roll bar? I'm assuming the top should be stored in a collapsed position. The side windows and rear window will be stored flat. Are there any cleaners or conditioners that would be a good idea to apply before storage? Is there anything else that should be done?

thanks

Junior
You can unbolt the hinged from the brackets so it's easier to put back on when you want to. Otherwise, you'll fight the brackets. Just from my experience. Also, you might want to look into thumb screws for it. It makes removing the top SOOOO MUCH EASIER! I found some on ebay for dirt cheap! It should be stored in the collapsed position and the windows can be stored flat, but I have a friend that stores them rolled up. No need to clean it before storing it... especially on a 2012! I have a 2010 and haven't cleaned it once. LOL.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

When you say the hinge do you mean the 2 rods on each side that bolt to that bracket on the roll bar?

Last edited by heyjunior; 09-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 PM
AJB
JK Newbie

Having a soft top boot makes storing and removal easy too. Get the convertible soft top cleaner from wallmart or auto zone. It cleans mud out very easily.

Last edited by AJB; 09-21-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by heyjunior
When you say the hinge do you mean the 2 rods on each side that bolt to that bracket on the roll bar?
Yes. That is where I will remove mine. I'm going to leave those brackets in place.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought quick disconnects from Quadratec. They make removing the soft top very easy.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Default Top off

A few days before taking my soft top off I wash it with a good car wash concentrate (like Turtlewax Ice car wash) then rinse thoroughly with clean water. After it's dry I condition it with a protectant (303 Aerospace Protectant is my favorite). The next day I cover it with my boot (Rampage 960435) and lift it to my garage ceiling on my hard-top's Harken Hoister (after hard top is on the Jeep). Since I have a 2010, which has a smaller rear window than later models, the side and rear windows fit nicely in a Rampage 595101 window bag.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can roll the windows loosly, but put a towel inbetween to stop them from sticking together.
Wrap a towel around the outside and store out of the way.

Quick Reply: soft top removal and storage