Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

soft top question

Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top question

How do I tell if my jeep has a factory soft top windshield channel or not?

I am interested in a full soft top kit, everything included in regards to mounting hardware, what do I buy?

Seems some top have this.....and some have that.....

Any help appreciated.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Trektop NX and it comes with everything you need (top, windshield bar, door sounds etc)

OEM Top you will need the following (especially if buying off Craigslist). If purchasing new you should get everything needed

Here is a list of items to look for:
Soft Top
Frame
Role Bar mounting bracket (one on each side, needed to attach frame to role bar)
Rear windows (left, right, rear)
Door Surrounds
Tailgate Bar
Tailgate Retainer Bracket (left and ride side)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepNewWheels.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	458084  
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default soft top

Originally Posted by lesgoff
I have the Trektop NX and it comes with everything you need (top, windshield bar, door sounds etc)

OEM Top you will need the following (especially if buying off Craigslist). If purchasing new you should get everything needed

Here is a list of items to look for:
Soft Top
Frame
Role Bar mounting bracket (one on each side, needed to attach frame to role bar)
Rear windows (left, right, rear)
Door Surrounds
Tailgate Bar
Tailgate Retainer Bracket (left and ride side)

excellent, thank you!

I assume the same components are required for a 2 door, I noticed you have the 4 door.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Newfie
How do I tell if my jeep has a factory soft top windshield channel or not?

I am interested in a full soft top kit, everything included in regards to mounting hardware, what do I buy?

Seems some top have this.....and some have that.....

Any help appreciated.
Newfie,

Jeeps that cmae from the facotry with a hard top, which I'm assuming yours did, won't come with a header channel. To put a soft top on a Jeep with a hardtop, you'll need to get all of the hardware for the top.

If you're looking for a full soft top kit, there are 3 options you should look into. First off being the Trektop NX like Legsoff said. It comes with everything you need to install it, and is fairly easy to put on your Jeep. Second, is the Supertop NX. It's a factory style top that fits great and also has a pretty easy install process. Again, this top includes everything you'll need to put it on the Jeep.

Finally, you can look around of the Forums and Craigslist for someone who is selling their factory soft top. when doing this, you'll want to make sure that you get all the bows, brackets and fabric that Legsoff listed. Also you'll want to make sure the bolts come with the brackets for the roll bar and the door surrounds. Some guys will take the brackets off and chuck the bolts leaving you to have to source them from elsewhere.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll be happy to help.

-Zach
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Default soft top

Originally Posted by XTZach
Newfie,

Jeeps that cmae from the facotry with a hard top, which I'm assuming yours did, won't come with a header channel. To put a soft top on a Jeep with a hardtop, you'll need to get all of the hardware for the top.

If you're looking for a full soft top kit, there are 3 options you should look into. First off being the Trektop NX like Legsoff said. It comes with everything you need to install it, and is fairly easy to put on your Jeep. Second, is the Supertop NX. It's a factory style top that fits great and also has a pretty easy install process. Again, this top includes everything you'll need to put it on the Jeep.

Finally, you can look around of the Forums and Craigslist for someone who is selling their factory soft top. when doing this, you'll want to make sure that you get all the bows, brackets and fabric that Legsoff listed. Also you'll want to make sure the bolts come with the brackets for the roll bar and the door surrounds. Some guys will take the brackets off and chuck the bolts leaving you to have to source them from elsewhere.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll be happy to help.

-Zach
Awesome information! Thanks for your time and help.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Newfie
Awesome information! Thanks for your time and help.
No problem! Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like me to hook you up with our JK-Forum discount code!

-Zach

Quick Reply: soft top question