Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft Top Mods anyone?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
There's a guy on here who chopped the rear portion off his soft top, and had sewn the ends, I must admit it looked great. And Franky asked why would you want to do that.. Well heres why I think it's a great idea.

1- I HATE cloudy soft top windows :-(
2- I love the sunriders ability to fold half way
3- anyones whose tried to put a bestop bikini top on door surrounds knows its not an easy task.

So my answer to why anyone would want to mod it, is so its a much better "user friendly" bikini top.

Now back to the topic... Soft top mods... Has anyone bedlined, vinyl wrapped, spraypainted, or canvas upholstered the soft top windows? I hate cloudy windows and I'm not ready to buy new ones
Gotcha, I really wish I'd answered that question a bit differently, sorry I came off like a jacka$$. For me running with the factory top seems to work, but then again, I am below 45-50 mph, and I don't have little ones in the equation.

As for the windows, usually in the beginning of summer, I get a small bottle of izenglass (sp?) polish, Usually from a nautical store and polish out the windows..

I hardly ever have user the sun rider portion. Seems neat, but haven't figured out when I would actually use it..
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Ah Franky... Don't worry bout it.. I didn't think u were being a jackass.. Just figured u truly didnt know why anyone would want to do such a thing. I wouldn't have ever known If it wasn't for my bikini top (which I sold). I wanted something to protect me from the sun on a 6 hr trip to Yosemite but wanted to be able to take it off easily once I got there. Then after the purchase I realized bikini tops suck to take off compared to factory soft tops. That's when I started exploring soft top mods
Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try looking at the new spider web shade top. It's a mesh top you put on and never have to take off. You hard or soft top goes over it. Perfect want the sun and not get burnt
Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Ditto to Gary B. I have the Spider Shade and love it. My wife really likes it as the sun can burn her good. It also helps with some noise deflection with the tops on. Great price and easy to install.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I modified my soft top so that I could run it as a bikini or as a normal soft top. It folds back into the bikini position. DIY. Cost = FREE!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bikini 1.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	320669Click image for larger version

Name:	bikini 2.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	320670Click image for larger version

Name:	bikini 3.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	320671Click image for larger version

Name:	bikini 4.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	320673Click image for larger version

Name:	bikini 5.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	320674

Last edited by Nelly; 05-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ezekiel97
I don't run rear windows. Would be nice if I could ditch the door surrounds and still secure my soft top.
Is there any reason why you need the door surrounds to secure the soft top? I've been running the top up and no windows. I have half doors (no doors for the last two weeks) so I like to take off the surrounds so you just have the roll bar showing. The top is clipped to the windshield only. Am I I f-'n up my top by doing this?

Also, thanks to the posters on this thread...cool stuff.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Nelly
I modified my soft top so that I could run it as a bikini or as a normal soft top. It folds back into the bikini position. DIY. Cost = FREE!

Attachment 320669Attachment 320670Attachment 320671Attachment 320673Attachment 320674
That's awesome.. will try it on mine. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by money546
Is there any reason why you need the door surrounds to secure the soft top? I've been running the top up and no windows. I have half doors (no doors for the last two weeks) so I like to take off the surrounds so you just have the roll bar showing. The top is clipped to the windshield only. Am I I f-'n up my top by doing this?

Also, thanks to the posters on this thread...cool stuff.
I run mine all the time without door surrounds (and doors) and I haven't had any issues with it. You obviously can't run the freedom-top style without door frames, but that's the only problem I can see with it. I hope someone points out a problem with it if there is one!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="Nelly"]I modified my soft top so that I could run it as a bikini or as a normal soft top. It folds back into the bikini position. DIY. Cost = FREE!]

How the heck do you get your headrests to fold back like that?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3628777623.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	320835  

Last edited by Jsboening; 05-24-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Please show/explain how you did this....this looks awesome. Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Soft Top Mods anyone?