Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft top disconnects-any DIY?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top disconnects-any DIY?

Has anyone made their own soft top discos? I think $59 for the RR is outrageous, I don't want them that bad Seems simple enough to figure out some way to just drill it and buy some pins. ANYBODY done it?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Come on I know someone has done something for this
Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the Bestop 51290-01 Black Quick-Release Bow Knuckles for $26 bucks from amazon. They are okay but make sure you don't torque em to much, they're plastic.
Are these what you're talking about? They're not bad to install. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the factory ones out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bestop 51290-01 Black Quick-Release Bow Knuckle_.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	223708  
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CbtEngr
I bought the Bestop 51290-01 Black Quick-Release Bow Knuckles for $26 bucks from amazon. They are okay but make sure you don't torque em to much, they're plastic.
Are these what you're talking about? They're not bad to install. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the factory ones out.
That is what I'm talking about. I saw those and didn't realize it was a set of 4. I thought 2 were $26 making them almost as expensive as the RR ones. How long have you had your and have you had any issues with them
Old 10-14-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had them about a month and a half. Just pull the pins and take off the top. No real issues with them except for user error when I actually put the top on backwards I tweaked them but used some pliers to fix...I like them! Makes it real easy to pull the top and a lot better then wearing out the screws in the bracket.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CbtEngr
I've had them about a month and a half. Just pull the pins and take off the top. No real issues with them except for user error when I actually put the top on backwards I tweaked them but used some pliers to fix...I like them! Makes it real easy to pull the top and a lot better then wearing out the screws in the bracket.
Sounds like a decent option. Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad I could help

Quick Reply: Soft top disconnects-any DIY?