Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft Top Comparison Advice Needed: Bowless vs Bowed, ease of use, quality, etc.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Comparison Advice Needed: Bowless vs Bowed, ease of use, quality, etc.

so i'm planning to by a soft top for my '14 JKU. I'm leaning towards Bestop NX because I like the fast-back look, and I'm assuming it's easier to install and uninstall too. But is it easier and faster to put down/up? Are framed/bowed tops faster and easier to up/down? Is the Bestop NX twill version really worth $500 more?

Lot's of questions, I've done lots of research, like looking at Smittybilt, Rampage, and Softopper too, but ultimately cannot tell major differences and advantages (or disadvantages) amongst all the forums, video reviews, and product pages out there.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the Trextop NX (frameless) and traded it for the Supertop NX (bow framed). I find the framed top much easier to install and take on and off. If you intend to do any fully topless driving, I recommend the framed top. Also, I have never seen a side by side comparison of the sailcloth and the twill, but I have heard that the major difference is the color. The sailcloth is the greyish black and the twill is more of a jet black....
Old 04-10-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Bestop Supertop NX (framed). I never owned a Trek top (frameless) but everything I've read points to the fact that it's not designed to fully remove. More suitable for safari top driving. The Supertop can fold down and put back up in minutes. Great top. I'm very happy with it. Mine is sailcloth. The twill looks very nice but I also run Bestop soft doors in the warm weather and they aren't available in twill so it wouldn't match.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the trek top and I never take the top portion off until I put the hard top on for winter. It would be a pain to take it off and on. I always just zip the Windows off and run like that. On occasion I have folded the sun rider portion back with the windows out. I bought that top because I wanted the top cover for summer because the sun in Oklahoma is so hot. Get plenty of that hot sun while on the Harley!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a big difference between the Trek Top and TrekTop NX is that the rear windows on the NX are removable and the TrekTop they are not.

Please keep that in mind so you get the right one you want.

R/
Will
Old 04-11-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jjosborne
so i'm planning to by a soft top for my '14 JKU. I'm leaning towards Bestop NX because I like the fast-back look, and I'm assuming it's easier to install and uninstall too. But is it easier and faster to put down/up? Are framed/bowed tops faster and easier to up/down? Is the Bestop NX twill version really worth $500 more? Lot's of questions, I've done lots of research, like looking at Smittybilt, Rampage, and Softopper too, but ultimately cannot tell major differences and advantages (or disadvantages) amongst all the forums, video reviews, and product pages out there.
I recommend running the MOPAR Premium Sunrider Soft Top with SpiderWebShade below it. It is no fastback, but it is extremely versatile. If I could only pick one top it would be this one.

Normally I run the Hard Top in the winter, then install the Premium Sunrider in Spring through end of Fall. The full sun is pretty harsh where I live, so the SpiderWebShade mesh top makes it the perfect mix of light and sun protection when I put the Premium top down. Folding the top down takes about 2 minutes total when you get used to it.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Comparison Advice Needed: Bowless vs Bowed, ease of use, quality, etc.