Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft ride after bumper install

Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft ride after bumper install

Just installed front and rear bumpers with a tire carrier and now the ride feels a lot softer and loose. I'm assuming it's due to the added weight of the bumpers. I'm wondering what's the best way to stiffen up the ride without breaking the bank?

I was thinking of just getting higher numbered stock springs. I have 16/56 front/rear. I have a 2007 Unlimited X with a Rubicon Express budget boost lift (with shocks) which was already on the Jeep when I bought it used.

Will buying 18/58 or higher springs help or not really? Would stock Rubicon shocks be worth the money? User both for sale on this forum often for pretty cheap. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

Im experiencing the same thing right now but am adding the AEV 2.5" lift next weekend in hopes that it will correct the problem. I know some springs are make to handle weight better than others.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

One thing I forgot to mention. I'm adding a Teraflex rear sway bar link and moving the stock rear to the front. I figure that should help a little as I'm riding all OEM links right now.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes stiffer springs will firm up the ride and handle the added weight better
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Yes stiffer springs will firm up the ride and handle the added weight better
Is it worth getting someone's fairly new springs (18/59)? Will not be that much stiffer over my (16/56)?

I've also seen the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit that's just springs and sway bar links (both things I need). Will it work with my Rubicon Express budget Boost that was just spring picks and shocks?

Quick Reply: Soft ride after bumper install