Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Soft Locker advice

Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft Locker advice

So here's what I have... 2012 unlimited sport 3.21's, 35's, gussets, coast 1310 front drive shaft

Here is what I am thinking about installing...

Nitro Chromoly axle shafts (already have them)
Evo sleeves
4.56 gears
Detroit soft locker or trutrac LSD up front
Detroit Trutrac LSD in the rear

Anyone that is currently running a soft locker or trutrac input would be appreciated. Also am I just asking to break stuff in my D30 putting any kind of locker or LSD in there?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ran the Detroit Truetracs front and rear before and they are awesome traction devices. For a daily driver and winter driving, this combination is hard to beat.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 AM
JK Junkie

What about a daily driver with winter driving and some moderate trail use. Had a couple times yesterday where I had one wheel spinning in loose dirt/rock and one on solid rock just sitting there.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JE8154
What about a daily driver with winter driving and some moderate trail use. Had a couple times yesterday where I had one wheel spinning in loose dirt/rock and one on solid rock just sitting there.
DD w/ winter driving and moderate trail use sounds like me. I have TrueTracs f/r and couldn't be happier.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have one wheel spinning with the trutrac, try applying the brakes. Should lock it up and get you through.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bull
If you have one wheel spinning with the trutrac, try applying the brakes. Should lock it up and get you through.
I don't have them yet but that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm considering one of the Detroit soft lockers in the front but I'm not sure if it will be an issue in a d30 as far as breakage. I read somewhere on here that the new Detroit soft lockers aren't noticeable on pavement but when you're in 4wd and lose traction it will lock the axle. I'm wondering if this would cause an issue driving in snow in 4hi. anyone have any insight on these issues?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
Would the computer kick in and stop the tire from spinning using the brake? ....not saying I wouldn't love lockers, just never had this happen.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DanieltheManual

Would the computer kick in and stop the tire from spinning using the brake? ....not saying I wouldn't love lockers, just never had this happen.
Unless there is a special way of getting the BLD to kick in that I don't know of it didn't do anything yesterday in these two situations. I have noticed it kick in different times with light slipping but not like this.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bull
The BLD system on the JKs does this automatically for you.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 AM
JK Junkie

Anyone with a Detroit soft locker care to chime in?

Quick Reply: Soft Locker advice