Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So whos wheeled a Rough Country 2.5 lift hard?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough country

Wait a minute. Are you speaking from experience with the lifts or not. Your teraflex really doesn't have anything that would make it more offroad worthy than the rough country with shocks. So you have separate bumpstops. RC has them built into their shocks. With teraflex if you want to run stock rims and tires you may have rubbing issues. I don't have either at the moment but am waiting for my tax return and I will be getting the Rough Country.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

After researching a little bit, I think I'm choosing the RC w/ the 2.2 shocks also. The shocks seem a little better quality than the TF shocks, and I can get the lift w/shocks, new front stabilizer, shock decals, and a dang hat all for cheaper than JUST the TF lif w/shocks would be.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by theosdad
Wait a minute. Are you speaking from experience with the lifts or not. Your teraflex really doesn't have anything that would make it more offroad worthy than the rough country with shocks. So you have separate bumpstops. RC has them built into their shocks. With teraflex if you want to run stock rims and tires you may have rubbing issues. I don't have either at the moment but am waiting for my tax return and I will be getting the Rough Country.
The TF kit is far more complete than the RC. With TF you get bumpstops (you need em if you wheel it), Brake line relocation brackets (stretched brake lines are very dangerous), sway bar end links (the stock ones arent long enough to sit 2.5 inches higher), and a rear "frame side" track bar bracket (so your sway bar bolts dont hit the frame). Seems pretty clear to me which kit is for mall crawling and which is designed to hold up and not tear up your $$$ JK. Seriously... at best you paid $21k for your JK and probably much more if you bought an Unlimited, a Sahara, Rubicon or any combination of. I don't see the appeal of being cheap and throwing the cheapest kit on the market on my Jeep that I have to live with for the next few years. If you were willing to spend that kind of money for the Jeep be willing to put decent parts on it. This isn't a $500 CJ.

Ty
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have the Teraflex kit, so really I can't and won't comment on it, just read from people that have installed it and see what they are saying...

I can however comment on the RC kit. I have it installed. The rear is only 2" of lift so keep that in mind when you are thinking of things like brake line relocation brackets... in all honesty, I don't think they are needed (with this kit). During the install, I dropped the rear axel pretty much to the ground to install and yes the brake line had to be disconnected from the frame, but after that experience...there is no way my JK will flex enough to cause and issue with the stock bracket. It is my understanding that the 2.2 shocks have internal bumpstops so that is removed from the equation also.

You will want to consider things like control arms steering stabilizers, and sway bar links with either purchase. Either kit you consider will do the job and do it well. Teraflex is the "old dog" on the block, they've been around and support thier products... Rough Country has recently entered the 2.5" BB game and it is my opinion that they offer a pretty solid product as well.

But I guess the question origionally asked was has anyone wheeled this kit hard... and my response is no.... damn weather here hasn't let up since November. I will in about a month and I'll post the pics then!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I recently took a trip to Little River Canyon in Fort Payne, AL and wheeled pretty good. Now, I don't have disco's but I flexed as much as I could, and everything was as tight as a drum. I don't even have the 2.2 RC shocks. Mine are stock with extensions. After wheeling though, I do see the need for the shocks and disco's.

So if anyone is wondering....if you plan on wheeling the RC 2.5 lift, get the shocks.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Diehard...that is a nice lookin' rig man. I'm still waiting for weather to let up so I can get some decent pics of mine with the lift installed! :(
Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beta-pg
Hey Diehard...that is a nice lookin' rig man. I'm still waiting for weather to let up so I can get some decent pics of mine with the lift installed! :(
Thank you sir!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
The TF kit is far more complete than the RC. With TF you get bumpstops (you need em if you wheel it), Brake line relocation brackets (stretched brake lines are very dangerous), sway bar end links (the stock ones arent long enough to sit 2.5 inches higher), and a rear "frame side" track bar bracket (so your sway bar bolts dont hit the frame). Seems pretty clear to me which kit is for mall crawling and which is designed to hold up and not tear up your $$$ JK. Seriously... at best you paid $21k for your JK and probably much more if you bought an Unlimited, a Sahara, Rubicon or any combination of. I don't see the appeal of being cheap and throwing the cheapest kit on the market on my Jeep that I have to live with for the next few years. If you were willing to spend that kind of money for the Jeep be willing to put decent parts on it. This isn't a $500 CJ.

Ty
Dont agree at all. RC kit is actually better than teraflex and is cheaper.. You dont need the brake line extensions for anything less than 3 inch. Comes with built in bump stops which is great. RC have designed it to resolve the flaws of other budget kits out there like the teraflex kit. Also the RC kit is leaves your Jeep level. Flex is better than the teraflex, therefore better for wheeling...you got it the wrong way around mate....

KSK
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

I wheeled mine REALLY hard in the mud and woods and creeks this weekend with the RC and 2.2 shocksand 33's. I was very impressed with it.
to answer a few questions. I got the brake line extensions for only $1 each with my kit. the 2.2 shocks have a built in bumpstop that is not very jaring at full stuff. I was pleasently suprised. never had any feeling of spring slippage, even at full flex climping out of ditches.
any other questions, I'll try to answer the best I can.
I would definitely reccomend this kit..... and I got a T-shirt with it!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YmansJK
Okay here is my 2 cents. The RC lift is got the basic compenents to be a satisfactory lift. Just move the rear sway bar links to the front and take the rear off completly. Make sure you get shocks and don't run a 35. If you are going to wheel and don't want to rub run a 33. These don't rub with factory bumpstops. I wouldn't worry about brakeline extensions because it sounds like the shocks don't have as much downtravel as the TF ones but they have more up travel so the flex is still there. Who has the specs on these 2.2 shocks?
2.2 shocks are better than the teraflex shocks...have checked the stats....

http://www.roughcountry.com/press_re...ries_shock.pdf

Quick Reply: So whos wheeled a Rough Country 2.5 lift hard?