Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So who's running NO spare?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So who's running NO spare?

So I took the jump to 35s. I got a smokin deal on Nitto trail grapplers with only 100 miles. Only problem is it was only 4 tires. Got them mounted on Method race wheels and I am loving the set up. No I am debating on a running a spare. Wheel and tire will set me back $500, plus a carrier, at least $500. So I am wondering if its worth it. Was planning on running a tramp stamp and trektop, cuz I love the fast back look. I work 10 minutes form my house and wheel it 3-5 times a year. Plus when I wheel it is with a buddy who has the exact spare for my jeep (a little added insurance.) So the question is take the plung for a spare or put the money into other parts of the Jeep?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say have a spare available when you go where AAA can't tow you (if you have AAA or something equivalent). Otherwise, I've never run without a spare - besides my other car that has run flats, but I carry a plug in air pump and fix a flat in that car. Just MHO, but you're setting yourself up for failure if you don't have a plan B.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running without a spare I feel like is just asking for trouble. But if you are going to run no spare at least carry a patch kit I guess.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Running no spare turns a nice day on the trail into a royal PITA.
Back in the day 6 rigs were on the trail, oh yeah the full size Bronco didn't bring a spare. And our bolt patterns were different.
One guy gets off the trail, gets cell coverage and has a friend bring it up.
Five hours latter, when it should have been 15 minutes max, we started rolling again. Bronco Boy bought dinner that night.
Don't be Bronco Boy!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

I think there are a lot of advantages to going spareless.

You might check out Tire Balls.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I will be ordering a spare. haha Guess it is cheap insurance in the long run. Just a little worried about the stock carrier, but I guess it will be ok for a while.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worse cause run a stock Rubicon spare.. That is what I do.. It will at least get me off the trail and back to where I can get towed.

I'll eventually get a full sized spare and tire carrier but as you said it is a lot of money for something I might not run.. To save money I plan to put a used 35 on.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget a jack that will get the 35's of the ground. Spare won't do much good until you can actually get the flat one off.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rancho
Running no spare turns a nice day on the trail into a royal PITA.
Back in the day 6 rigs were on the trail, oh yeah the full size Bronco didn't bring a spare. And our bolt patterns were different.
One guy gets off the trail, gets cell coverage and has a friend bring it up.
Five hours latter, when it should have been 15 minutes max, we started rolling again. Bronco Boy bought dinner that night.
Don't be Bronco Boy!
Nice story. There's always that one isn't there?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run no spare around town And close to the house. When I leave off for work I throw the spare in the back. This is until my ORFab carrier comes in.

Quick Reply: So who's running NO spare?