Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So what do I do now

Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what do I do now

I’ve added a Rockhard4x4 stubby bumper with an Engo 10K Synthetic line winch to the front and an OR-Fab Standard bumper to the rear which puts a lot more weight on my stock springs. So I’ve been thinking of upgrading the springs to something that will handle the extra weight.

There in lies my problem. I thought I’d just upgrade with the higher rated Mopar springs, 19s and 60s since I’m currently running 14s and 54s (JK Rubicon Auto with HardTop) and using the stock Rubicon shocks because I really didn’t see a need to upgrade a perfectly fine set of shocks. But now I’m wondering if I would be better off getting an OME 2in lift or a 2.5 Teraflex kit with spring and shocks?

I really don’t need a lift kit I have Bushwacker Flat Fenders and don’t plan to run anything larger than 33s when it comes time to replace the tires and may just stay with the stock Rubi tires as I like them a lot so far. But I need to do something as the extra weight needs to be compensated for. So I’m asking:
“ Please ole wise ones throw some advise my way.”
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well considering that you are not planning on really going up much in tire size and where you are located. I would probably just add some coil spacers and call it a day. That will bring your ride back to they height you are looking for.

I say spacers over new heavier shocks because you will keep a softer ride with the pucks over the heavier spings. The spacers are basically just taking up the preload you have on the compressed springs you have now. This means you keep the same nice soft ride you have now. If you add heavier springs to stop the sag from the heavier bumpers so you dont get the sag in the first place you are going to feel the difference in the ride to be much harsher. You can think of the coil spacer as a ghetto preload adjuster if you will.

A standard lift kit is also an option as well but will be much more costly and for your application and tire size it is probably just not needed.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
JK Freak

I agree, I would go with a cheap solution like a 2" Budget Boost from any major company if you don't plan on going higher than a 33" tire (which is originally what I said, then I wanted 35's). If you a DIY kinda guy, the bb's are very simple, all you would need done professionally is an allignment afterwards.

I personally have a Daystar 3" lift, it uses the factory coils with spacers, and new shocks. It was a very easy install, and only $200 for an allignment. I has a very smooth ride now, and I'm rockin' 35's...
Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 AM
JK Freak

I am far from a wise one. But it doesn't sound like you are really wanting to put a lift on. go with the above suggestions ^^^^^
Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Get new springs. Save your shocks. Most companies will sell you just springs. Maybe consider the teraflex performance leveling kit? It's a spring based kit.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-1-5-perfo...eling-kit.html

Longer shocks usually means an eventual need for new driveshafts, especially if you ever high center or flex a lot while disco'ed.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would just throw in some spacers and be done with it. It will compensate for the added weight, and your ride should stay as it is now

Quick Reply: So what do I do now