Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Should i spray paint my JK flat black?
Yes rattle away
26.81%
Yes paint but not with spray paint
22.46%
No you friggin idiot!
50.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

So I'm thinking spray painting my jeep...

Old 11-06-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep buffing out the scratches and keep the black paint looking decent for as long as you can.

I've wet sanded freshly painted cars for a living and I'm good with a high speed buffer. I owned a detail shop restoring faded oxidized paint & removing scratches as a specialty. Most clear coat scratches will buff out with some compound spinning a buffing wheel on them with just the right amount of heat & pressure. Then a spin of glaze to remove swirl marks and finish hand wax.

If your not familiar with wet sanding, buffing wheel, compounding, don't do it.
You can take the clear off, the base color, and burn down through layers.
Find someone that knows how to do this stuff and they probably won't get oversplatter from the compounds, glaze & wax all over your plastic fenders & bumpers too.

Maybe take it to a detail shop or body shop to buff out & remove the clear coat scratches every once in awhile if it bothers you that much.

BTW...Next time buy a white or yellow or light color jeep & the clear coat scratches don't show nearly as much.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:28 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Worried about scratching a jeep? Hey, to each their own, it is YOUR Jeep...but here's a solution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5XjPEy9B90
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCF
Worried about scratching a jeep? Hey, to each their own, it is YOUR Jeep...but here's a solution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5XjPEy9B90
that's a great vid...I don't even wanna know how you found that

But seriously for the OP, I say DO IT! Go for it, I like the look of flat black, I think it'll look great
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

flat black looks mean
Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I voted to rattle can the thing!

I would suggest though instead of flat go satin or semi-gloss for two reasons (for me at least):

1. You can wash it and dirt will removed better than with a flat coat.

2. Corrosion, water will sit in the rough texture of a flat coat and will start to look real crappy (or cool! depending on your likes) over time. Satins or semi-glosses will resist this and will last longer.

Either way, start squirting paint! And I'm down the street in Gig Harbor, I would like to see the result in person.

-Derek

Last edited by Percheron; 11-12-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so whats the verdict?? Going for it? If so, please post pics and keep us informed
Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx for all the input, I think I've decided to rhino line my jeep, has anyone seen jeep fully rhino lined, i know someone posted a link but that was a spray painted jeep. I'm gonna what until spring but i will diffently post pics of process and finished product.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

waiting for pics.....
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you're going to use spray cans, may as well go with duplicolor bedliner. Lots of threads on bedlining the freedom top and the insides, about time someone posted up some pics of the whole thing...
I have had several people tell me to do this to my 81' CJ-7...but go get the real deal Rhino Liner.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

If you want the REAL deal....go with Line-X. It is far more superior and looks way better than the do it yourself. The downside is that it might cost a few hundred bucks to have it sprayed on. http://www.linex.com/

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking spray painting my jeep...