Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Should i spray paint my JK flat black?
Yes rattle away
26.81%
Yes paint but not with spray paint
22.46%
No you friggin idiot!
50.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

So I'm thinking spray painting my jeep...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want your jeep to look splotchy, have inconsistent paint thickness and poor adhesion, paint it with a spray can.

if you're set on painting it and want to do it at least half right, go buy or borrow a paint gun and a compressor. a can of spray paint will look like ass (unless you do some cool graffiti stuff).

good luck
Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joes
if you want your jeep to look splotchy, have inconsistent paint thickness and poor adhesion, paint it with a spray can.

if you're set on painting it and want to do it at least half right, go buy or borrow a paint gun and a compressor. a can of spray paint will look like ass (unless you do some cool graffiti stuff).

good luck
Sorry man, but that's just wrong info, and here's proof. This is the Jeep I was speaking of earlier.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/painting-jk-olive-drab-79400/

This Jeep actually won some awards for the paint, and it was ALL done with rattle cans. Just because it may sound stupid, doesn't mean it cannot be done correctly given enough time and effort.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

A buddy of mine is anal about regular waxing which will protect it from 90% of trail bush in the NW. My stance though is just wear the scratches like a badge of honor. You can't wheel anywhere within a 100 miles of Seattle and not regularly get scratches. Let the trails apply the matte finish you want.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Flat black will show more scratches and damage then ur gloss paint. I wouldn't recommend a flat black vehicle for off road use. Your best bet is to get a flat black wrap.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

DO NOT WET SAND!!! You will totally f@#k up your paint (especially since it is black). I wouldn't rattle can a flat black either. Flat black will appear uneven and splotchy- unlike the olive drab green. I would use a clay bar and see if that will lighten/eliminate the scratches. The ONLY way I would make my JK a satin black is with a paint gun and compressor. Buy hot rod black- and you can get a clear coat that will not add any gloss at all. JMO
Old 11-06-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats why I bought a white JK...black vehicles are impossible to keep scratch free (but they sure look bada$$ when they are)
Old 11-06-2009, 04:53 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hntndawg
Thats why I bought a white JK...black vehicles are impossible to keep scratch free (but they sure look bada$$ when they are)
Heh, I've got a white one too and while it's a little bit harder to see the scratches on the paint, but they're very visible on the fenders, mirrors, and soft top windows.

I'm seriously considering sanding down the burrs off the fenders and coating them with some bedliner. Once I get a replacement rear fender, I'll experiment with my damaged one.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Sorry man, but that's just wrong info, and here's proof. This is the Jeep I was speaking of earlier.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79400

This Jeep actually won some awards for the paint, and it was ALL done with rattle cans. Just because it may sound stupid, doesn't mean it cannot be done correctly given enough time and effort.
Where is the Redneck that used to tell it like is? This guys is worried about scratches on his Jeep? Are you kidding me? Get a freaking H3. His solution is to spraypaint his rig.

Are you feeling okay Redneck?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I cant remember the name of it, but you should try that peel-off paint they make for cars. I believe its latex based, but its not meant to be permanent. Its meant to give you an idea of what your Jeep would look like in a certain color.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79400

yea thats my thread, we painted rubiconvicts jk's with a ww2 millitary spray paint it came out really well, he has since updated it with a full woodland camo theme painted the snorkel and soft doors and everything

if done right it will come out well and hold up very nicely. go for it

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking spray painting my jeep...