Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Should i spray paint my JK flat black?
Yes rattle away
26.81%
Yes paint but not with spray paint
22.46%
No you friggin idiot!
50.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

So I'm thinking spray painting my jeep...

Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I'm thinking spray painting my jeep...

I have a black jk that i've had for about 8 months now and i keep getting scratches, I know some on here will be like, and? But i'm really not into the whole scratched up dented look.
So i'm think of sanding her down a little and spray painting her flat black, this way anytime i get a scratch, i just rattle and spray then she's all fixed....

Looking for opinions and advice here, should i do it? What kind of paint should i use? Should i sand first? If i sand, how much and what grain paper? Is there any reason why i shouldn't do this?

thnx for any input.
~Mad

I got the idea after spray painting my muffler & OME shocks flat black.
This picture is before i sprayed mufler & shocks and yes i know i need tires....
Old 11-05-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you're going to use spray cans, may as well go with duplicolor bedliner. Lots of threads on bedlining the freedom top and the insides, about time someone posted up some pics of the whole thing...
Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea i thought about bedliner to but my only concern with that would be the added weight. Not sure if it would be an issue, i've seen a few people on here bedline grill and such but not whole jeep, has someone done this?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kinda crazy stuff are you getting on your pretty much stock sahara on those AT's? I dont see any scraches.. heck, your steps are still in one piece and your painted fenders look brand new!

Show your trail rash with pride like everyone else.

If you do paint it, dont do it yourself. Get it rhino'd or line-x'd.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bkw
what kinda crazy stuff are you getting on your pretty much stock sahara on those AT's? I dont see any scraches.. heck, your steps are still in one piece and your painted fenders look brand new!

Show your trail rash with pride like everyone else.

If you do paint it, dont do it yourself. Get it rhino'd or line-x'd.
I agree not to scratched up you ota see mine.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

go to an auto body supplier and get a very low grit sand paper and some instructions on how to wet sand your jeep...buy some good carnuba wax and a professional grade polish...take your time and you will get those scratch's off your paint...remember wet sand ,then polish , then wax...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKNIGHT
go to an auto body supplier and get a very low grit sand paper and some instructions on how to wet sand your jeep...buy some good carnuba wax and a professional grade polish...take your time and you will get those scratch's off your paint...remember wet sand ,then polish , then wax...
Great advice. It will look like ass rattle canning it...Mine is black too and a good wax goes a long way
Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Be carefull when you wet sand it. If you go too deep you will be able to tell. All I can say is black vehicles are a pain to look show perfect. Show some pics of how bad the scratches are. If there not that bad you shouldn't have to wet sand them.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would worry on the weight - line-x that bad boy! That would look bad ass!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wet sanding is bad advice. You will burn right through the clear coat in short order. I mean QUICK. Wet sand or color sanding as it is correctly referred to is reserved for paints such as single stage laquers and enamels that do not require clear coats, OR for color sanding the first stage of a base coat/clear coat type paint. Trying to color sand clear coat will do nothing but remove it and THAT will look like ass. Someone on here did a fine job rattle canning their JK olive drab flat....and it looks GOOD. It can be done. Having said all that, you need to know something. Flats scratch VERY, VERY easily. Unless you seal it with something (like a clear coat which will add gloss) You'll be repairing scratches at a rate far greater than you ever would with the paint you have now. Frankly, I think it would be best if you left well enough alone.....but hey, it's your Jeep. If you want it flat, go for it. It CAN be done and look good.

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking spray painting my jeep...