Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

so i guess this means my axle seals are leaking?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i guess this means my axle seals are leaking?

Woke up to this under my front axle. there is oil on the ground, on the unnder section of the lower c and all over the lower ball joint. i just replaced my ball joints and had trouble getting this axle in. am i right in assuming that i screwed up my axle seal wile sliding the shaft in and now need to replace the seals? Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-31 14.02.28.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	231015Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	231016
Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks for the response. i plan on re filling the diff today. i recently had gears done. i have some royal purple left over from my last change, can i still use this to top up even though the diff shop likely did not use RP?

Also its been 350 miles since gears. is it possible that the sudden leak could be from that? i did do ball joints but it did not seem to leak immediately after.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Its possible to damage the seals if you hit them with the axle shaft you have to be careful when sliding them back in. You shouldn't top it off with different fluid.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

iv been giving this some thought and am perplexed. once i was done with the ball joints i drove the vehical for a week before there were any signs of leaking. Further the oil only really started to seap out once i realized something was wrong and i parked it in a more long term spot. when i found the oil initially there was just oil on the ball joint not the group.

so could it just have started leaking randomly? not related to the work being done on it?

is the idea that the seal could reseat accurate? i dont want to risk damaging my gears.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

bump for some more opinions
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

The axle seals are just junk. Had passenger front leaking. Just replaced under lifetime warranty. 2008. Original owner. 34,500 miles. Never wrenched on. Off roading consists of parking in the grass in my yard.

Quick Reply: so i guess this means my axle seals are leaking?