Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So I got a 6.1L with all running in a bench! HEMI JK project

Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got a 6.1L with all running in a bench! HEMI JK project

Hello,

I would like to ask some questions I have regarding the 6,1L swapp I attempt to do in a 2010/2011 JK Rubicon 2 door I'm getting. I posted this before in AEV forum but not response yet, figured I could get some feedback/answers here

This 6.1L SRT8 Jeep 2008 model year engine with the NGA1, all modules, PCM, etc etc which runs in a custom bench we made is what I would like to install for the incoming JK that I'm about to purchase. I have the option to buy it automatic or manual trans.

I do off road in the big dunes or heavy sand, not rockcrawling so I think the 6,1L it's a better option than the 5.7L for this particular use, besides is what I got.

I know AEV is or was working in the development for the HEMI swapp with manual transmission but I'm not sure if it's done by now or still under development. I would like to stick with manual transmission as always was like that in my previous Jeep so I'm really looking for the manual, but the automatic transmission option is not discarted.

So, for the manual tranmission, besides the recalibration modules for the ESP (or a new module made by AEV) PCM reflash, etc etc. Would be need the famous Getrag 238 or can be used the NGS370 6 speed manual trans found in the Wranglers? Source a 238 Getrag in my coutnry is pretty much impossible since we don't have the Dodge trucks with stick trans arround here and purchase brand new from the US is serious money, so if there is any way to do it with the NGS370 manual trans, that would be sweet, though, not sure if it could handle the power if you make it fit.

In the other hand, if the manual transmission way is too complicated and more expensive at the end, I might rather think again, and keep/buy a automatic Rubicon and do the swapp, either the NGA1 which is mated with the 6.1L right now could be used (not sure if you guys developed the software/electroncis/PCM calibration, etc, to be used with the HEMI swapp already with the NGA1?) or I could source easily a 545RFE which happen to have in our market (besides I'm Jeep dealershipp arround here). But for the automatic option/way, the only way I can see involved in this, is that would like to know if is possible to modify the shift points/gears by adding paddle shifts or swapping the stick trans knob/base-module like I have right now, which happen to be a SRT8 console and therefore is a secuencial shifting. Not sure if this has been done?

Anyways, I woudl like to know if you offer the kit already for this particular project I'm traying to accomplish, so let me know.

Thanks and are welcome all the positive opinions/suggestions
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like an awesome project! I wish I could help, but all I can do is say that you will probably get more help in the fab/builders area of this forum.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Burnsville offroad I think they have a manual compatible hemi kit.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow i only wish i could attempt such a project to give you some help , but i agree with the guy above check out burnsville.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great project. I'm a die hard manual guy in jeeps with stock motors, Ie: 6 cylinders like my Rubicon. But if I was going to do a Hemi swap I would definitely go auto. Way smoother, and you already will have plenty of power. I did a LT-1 swap in my YJ with a 4L60E auto trans and it was awesome. A lot of the posts on here with Hemi swaps you will find out most the owners like the autos. Just my 2 cents. Goodluck finding the right JK.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to a guy working at AEV back in February and he told me that they have a manual compatible kit for the 6.1. He said he test drove the 6.1L manual setup in a two door and it was a complete animal.

Quick Reply: So I got a 6.1L with all running in a bench! HEMI JK project