Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So is it a Given Now...???

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So is it a Given Now...???

......That, as far as "RIDE QUALITY" goes the overwhelming favorite is the TF 2.5" Coil lift w/shocks is the lift of choice???

After driving my over axle lifted CJ5 on the road for years, ride quality has been, and still is my main concern when it comes to a lift. I will not.....let me say it again....I WILL NOT compromise the ride of my JK. As far as I'm concerned, it is one of, if not THE BEST, thing about these new JKs.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

By ride quality you mean on-road ride quality I assume? I am trying to figure out the same think, only with a 3" lift. I don't want to lose the nicer JK ride if at all possible.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't speak to the TF lift, but I can honestly say I'm very impressed with the ride of the OME lift. The main thing that turned me off to the TF lift was that they use the same springs for the 2 door and 4 door JK. That didn't make sense to me.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubi 2sday
I can't speak to the TF lift, but I can honestly say I'm very impressed with the ride of the OME lift. The main thing that turned me off to the TF lift was that they use the same springs for the 2 door and 4 door JK. That didn't make sense to me.
The part numbers are certainly different on the kits.

I digress....I THOUGHT they were. I just looked and the part numbers are the same. I guess they figure you'll get at least the advertised 2.5" of lift with the four door. From all of the responses on the kit, you actually get a bit more than that on the 4 door.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-29-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the TF 2.5" coil lift over the weekend on my '09 Rubi Unlimited. I put a little over 900 miles on the Jeep before the lift, and I have to say, after the lift I think the ride's even better (for MY taste). I have the tow package and obviously the Rubi shocks so I just opted for the shock extenders, and so far after a mere 1 1/2 days of driving with it on, I really like it.

I will say, it feels a little stiffer, in the sense that it has a little more "high sprung" feel on the road when hitting any bumps, but over gradual dips and rises it feels nice and comfy. It rides more like a Jeep "should" in my mind now, and its really noticeable that its leveled out now. It's stiff, but not uncomfortable or harsh at all. I also added the SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers and I really do think those gave it a much more stable stance as many others on this board have attested, especially noticeable when making 90 degree turns around town. Very confident feeling. IMO, the TF is an excellent kit, and so far I love the ride. You won't be disappointed. my 2c
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rubi 2sday
Hmmmmm......that does seem odd doesn't it. That must be why one guy on here recently said he got 4 inches of lift with his 2.5 on his 2dr.

Looks like I may not get many more responses, as I'm pretty sure this subject is worn out. Oh well, thought I'd try anyway, as I still haven't made up my mind.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with some kind of spacer lift. I have the 2" Full Traction spacers on mine and so far they have been great. It drives nice on the road (unless you get substantial amounts of mud in the wheel wells hahaha ) and does great on the trail as well. They give 33's plenty of room to articulate and definitely preserves the factory ride quality better than just about anything else out there.

Edit: Also, if you get a lift that gets you up 3 or more inches and you have an automatic transmission, you have to start worrying about the front drive shaft rubbing on the auto tranny skid... Just something else to think about (IF you have an auto)

Last edited by Mr.ZAP; 03-30-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
Go with some kind of spacer lift. I have the 2" Full Traction spacers on mine and so far they have been great. It drives nice on the road (unless you get substantial amounts of mud in the wheel wells hahaha ) and does great on the trail as well. They give 33's plenty of room to articulate and definitely preserves the factory ride quality better than just about anything else out there.

Edit: Also, if you get a lift that gets you up 3 or more inches and you have an automatic transmission, you have to start worrying about the front drive shaft rubbing on the auto tranny skid... Just something else to think about (IF you have an auto)
Good advice if you like the way it rides as is...just get a 2.5" BB spacer kit, there are many to choose from...Teraflex, Rough Country, Rubicon Express, Full Traction, etc. You can opt for new shocks or just get the basic kit with shock adapters and it will for sure stay almost exactly the same as it is now as far as ride quality...
Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any kit you put on will ride better than a CJ-5, mine rode like a horse drawn wagon.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks are the main principle in just about all these lifts as far as ride quality. My bilsteins are great, I've heard good things about the OME ones as well.