Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

so with a budget boost how can you upgrade it

Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so with a budget boost how can you upgrade it

so with a budget boost how can you up grade it? Can you for instance replace the stock shocks that have extension with a longer travel shock? t hen down the line get new springs without puck? at what point do you have to add control arms?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Control arms, I'd do a replacement when the rubber bushing wear out of your oem's, if your lift is still in the 2" range.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, you can add whatever components you want. Just realize that there is a bunch of opinion and personal preference involved on which components you might want. If you go to longer shocks, you need to make sure that they will not over-compress (bumpstops, bracket relocation, whatever) and that the coils will not unseat (coil length, shock length, coil retainers, limit straps, whatever). You will also want to check the brakelines when you go to longer shocks/taller coils. And then you might also want to research flips. And axle centering. And ...

You add control arms when 'you' think that the steering is too flighty from low caster. Some people may add them at 2.5", others may be ok with taller lifts. Just depends. Drive it and see what you think. The other time you will want to add them is when you want to adjust the pinion angle, which would likely be when you move to an aftermarket driveshaft.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yes, you can add whatever components you want. Just realize that there is a bunch of opinion and personal preference involved on which components you might want. If you go to longer shocks, you need to make sure that they will not over-compress (bumpstops, bracket relocation, whatever) and that the coils will not unseat (coil length, shock length, coil retainers, limit straps, whatever). You will also want to check the brakelines when you go to longer shocks/taller coils. And then you might also want to research flips. And axle centering. And ... You add control arms when 'you' think that the steering is too flighty from low caster. Some people may add them at 2.5", others may be ok with taller lifts. Just depends. Drive it and see what you think. The other time you will want to add them is when you want to adjust the pinion angle, which would likely be when you move to an aftermarket driveshaft.
You mention relocation brackets being something to keep an eye on when going with longer shocks... At what point and what malfunction would one expect to occur if this became a problem? Just bending the bracket or would it, for example, rip the trackbar mount off? I ask because I am installing a budget boost as soon as I get my bilsteins and do plan to disconnect and do some mild wheeling. Everything else is going to be addressed for the droop, but had not considered whether the trackbar relocation bracket is up to the task.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Emptied Each Pocket
At what point and what malfunction would one expect to occur if this became a problem?
????

Just bending the bracket or would it, for example, rip the trackbar mount off? I ask because I am installing a budget boost as soon as I get my bilsteins and do plan to disconnect and do some mild wheeling. Everything else is going to be addressed for the droop, but had not considered whether the trackbar relocation bracket is up to the task.
He was referring to shock relocation brackets to maximize droop. What kit are you purchasing? It includes a trackbar relocation bracket?
Old 06-18-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, was thinking about possible shock mount relocation for the long shock/short coil setup. He'll probably need to add taller bumpstops to keep the shocks from over-compressing. And if the coils are short enough and the shocks long enough, that might get the bumpstops constantly contacting during normal driving. If that happens, an option might be to move the upper shock mount up instead of running too much bumpstop. No idea how long the shocks will be or how short the coils are, was just throwing out some considerations...

The stock trackbar mounts are known to be somewhat weak, both frame and axle. There was a thread just a day or two ago with a rear raised bracket ripping off the axle. So do yourself a favor and get one of the sturdier relo/raise brackets. Weld-on, u-bolts around the axle, something.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-18-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
???? He was referring to shock relocation brackets to maximize droop. What kit are you purchasing? It includes a trackbar relocation bracket?
Teraflex 2.5 BB. Which I believe comes with a rear relocation bracket? I plan on maximizing the 5100's travel, and am just making sure I'm not missing any points of concern.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teraflex 2.5 BB. Which I believe comes with a rear relocation bracket? I plan on maximizing the 5100's travel, and am just making sure I'm not missing any points of concern.
Just buy the 2.5 spacers and some longer rear sway bar links. Don't bother with the trackbar drop bracket. Go with their raised rear bracket instead.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
Just buy the 2.5 spacers and some longer rear sway bar links. Don't bother with the trackbar drop bracket. Go with their raised rear bracket instead.
The kit is already on its way to me, but I do have plans to just get an adjustable trackbar, regardless. Just not at this moment. I just want to be sure I'm not gonna bend or rip the actual track bar mount by using the supplied bracket.

Quick Reply: so with a budget boost how can you upgrade it