Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snow in snorkel? Can someone help please?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Snow in snorkel? Can someone help please?

So last night when I parked I wasn't really thinking and parked facing into the wind. It snowed all night long, a good 8". I was wondering if my snorkel(Gen 1 AEV) is filled with snow now? When I turn it on will it melt and get sucked into the engine and hydrolock it?

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Last edited by Jersey_Devil; 01-03-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it off, bring it in the house and thaw it out. Probably dosnt have that much in it, but you won't know until you look.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you will be fine....mine gets covered in snow all the time and I've never had a problem
Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi

I just wasn't sure cuz we haven't had snow like this in a while here, thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

there is very little moisture in snow and unless it was packed solid where it could not breath you have very little moisture in the volume of snow that could be contained in the snorkel.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jadmt
there is very little moisture in snow and unless it was packed solid where it could not breath you have very little moisture in the volume of snow that could be contained in the snorkel.
Awesome, I know the 10:1 snow ratio but still was just worried. Thanks for easing my mind!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could spin it around backwards if you think it might get plugged
Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same exact worry, all winter we have had blowing snow and huge snow drifts. The Jeep has been covered and the snorkel packed with snow ... runs without issue though. I remember asking last time about it before the season and the answer I got was it does okay with water since it has the relief slots in the back... Thing is though, I'm not driving through rain, its parked while drifts of snow blow and pack into the snorkel.

If I see it start acting up then I'll just toss on the cyclone or whatever it was called, bought the snorkel with both. I have the ARB one as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi

Just was out and about and she was just fine.... but now my trucklite have condensation in them WTF one thing after another..... think it's just from the ice sitting on the lens and then the sun light heating it up too quickly
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
Just was out and about and she was just fine.... but now my trucklite have condensation in them WTF one thing after another..... think it's just from the ice sitting on the lens and then the sun light heating it up too quickly
Ive had that with my trucklites too. My stockers did it too. Our climate i guess.

As for the snorkel, we should be fine. Ive packed a K&N on my 08' f450 almost tight with snow and with 30psi of boost. no issue. Although i do bang it out if i know its a bad snowfall. Wish i had a snorkel for my f450. Horrible intake design.... Borderline criminal!

Quick Reply: Snow in snorkel? Can someone help please?