Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snow drifting

Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow drifting

So last year I went through a big snow drift that went over the Jeep and chimes and battery light came on....Dealer replaced battery and life went on...

So this snow season over Christmas got 20" of snow here, decided to bum around town. I saw a nice drift across the road and darted strait for it and BOOOM!! the drift exploded with the wonder of amazement by bystanders, BUT here we go again chimes all went off and battery light came on. You could tell that I lost some electrical power because the heater fan went real low etc...

So... the battery light stayed on and I shut the Jeep off and back on and everything went back to normal...What is going on that I cant go through a snow drift with a JEEP RUBICON without some electrical problem??? I opened the hood and of course the motor compartment was wet but what's going on and how do I fix this???? Is it shorting the battery??? do I wrap it in something during the winter???? I have no idea???

signed, Jeeper who cant drive his $35,000 Jeep in snow.....
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Don't know about all the other bells and lights, but the loss of electrical power could be due to slippery snow making the belt slip on the alternator pulley. If the alternator slowed, your power would drop.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:58 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

X2 on that. Sounds like your jamming the front of the engine with more snow than it can handle and maybe locking up the belt which will stall out the engine.

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Don't know about all the other bells and lights, but the loss of electrical power could be due to slippery snow making the belt slip on the alternator pulley. If the alternator slowed, your power would drop.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is your airbox open or sealed from the factory? I have an open airbox with a cold air intake and if I go through deep water it will shut off, I believe what happens is the air sensor in the intake gets wet and automatically shuts off, the alternator thing sounds doesnt sound like the problem if it started back up, now thats just my opinion it is a valid point but I'm thinking more like airbox or if your fuse panel under the hood got drenched...did it start up after it shut off? Did it turn over and act like it was gonna start but took several tries?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

I had something similar without the snow. All of a sudden all the lights and chimes going off and jeep at half power. turned off and on several times and problem went away. took it to dealer said it was a "MAP" sensor and was on backorder. (apparently a problem) works fine now,,

Quick Reply: snow drifting