Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snow and 35x12.50 R17 BFG T/A KM2's

Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow and 35x12.50 R17 BFG T/A KM2's

I bought my jeep with the KM2's just wanted thoughts, opinions and experience with these tires in the snow and ice. I'm from California and work in North Dakota. I was thinking of possibly having the tires siped for improved traction. Thoughts and opinions ready Go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

From the reading I have done recently, mud tires won't do that well in snow and ice. So I had the center lugs siped on my KM's (originals that come stock on Rubicon and Willys). That is supposed to provide a great deal better traction and the outside lugs are still solid so they won't chunk off as easily.

$10 a tire at Discount Tire
Old 11-12-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Discount tire has siped my last two sets. It does improve traction, but don't expect miracles. I don't know what the winters are like in ND, but if you need studs or chains, you need studs or chains...
Old 11-12-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had two sets of KM2s on my JK, 35" and 37". Unquestionably the worst tires I've ever run in slick or icy conditions, to the point of being potentially deadly. I absolutely would not recommend them for anyone who had to drive in winter weather.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are definitely not the best tire for winter conditions. I'm on my fifth winter in Colorado with KM2s and they're fine if you drive according to the conditions. I haven't found them to be deadly. The scariest thing around here are the stupid shits in Subarus and luxury cars driving way too fast. I go slow and let them crash ahead of me.

For your location a second set of snow tires might be a good idea.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

They are great in deep snow. Icy roads they are marginally better than slicks.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highpocketse5
I bought my jeep with the KM2's just wanted thoughts, opinions and experience with these tires in the snow and ice. I'm from California and work in North Dakota. I was thinking of possibly having the tires siped for improved traction. Thoughts and opinions ready Go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For up there go with the Goodyear Duratracs, save those tires that you have on now for summer. I know it will cost$$$

Where in N.D. ?

Lived in Minn. for over 40 years so know the weather and snow and been to Bismarck plenty of times.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
They are definitely not the best tire for winter conditions. I'm on my fifth winter in Colorado with KM2s and they're fine if you drive according to the conditions. I haven't found them to be deadly. The scariest thing around here are the stupid shits in Subarus and luxury cars driving way too fast. I go slow and let them crash ahead of me.
So damn true.

OP,

No, they aren't ideal but I've managed to get through 3 winters now with mine just fine. In 2WD you can forget it, but any time the roads are slick, I drive in 4HI with few complaints. I don't sipe them as they tend to chunk even worse off road then.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

My KM2s have been just fine on snow and ice. 4WD and I've made it up every hill and overpass. Where rear wheel and even front wheel drive vehicles could not get out of our neighborhood due to the steep hill, I walk right up.

Take your time, slow down, and you'll have no issues.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by highpocketse5
I bought my jeep with the KM2's just wanted thoughts, opinions and experience with these tires in the snow and ice. I'm from California and work in North Dakota. I was thinking of possibly having the tires siped for improved traction. Thoughts and opinions ready Go! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just get them siped at a tire shop. Will cost you $10-$15 a tire and will greatly increase your traction is adverse conditions. Also will increase tire life since siped tires disperse heat better, but if you corner hard etc you will actually wear them out faster if siped.

Quick Reply: Snow and 35x12.50 R17 BFG T/A KM2's