Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkle Options?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkle Options?

I'v been looking into snorkel options after so many stories of people hydrolocking their engine. I know AEV and River Raider make one, and possibly a cowl based model by Rugged Ridge in the future. Are there any other options? Any reviews on them, namely excessive wind noise and sturdyness?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

pretty much everyone i know runs the aev setup and they all seem to be very happy with it. certainly, it is the least invasive, easiest to install and allows you to still run a dual batter tray.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

AEV
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

I have the River Raider set up, but my buddy has the AEV. I think they are both solid set ups...I also put in a K&N high flow air filter and have notice some mild MPG gains...like 2 mpg. As to noise, I can tell you that my soft top seems to flop when driving now on that side...it is not bad, but it was not there before and I assume it is the wind hitting the top of the snorkel and bouncing down.

Let's be honest...you're either cutting a notch in your hood or your quarter panel...I think you could easily patch the quarter panel before repairing the notch in the hood...just due to the physical movement of the hood (up and down), but I could be totally wrong!

Neither was that difficult to install. I can tell you that if you use a 3 1/8" hole saw for the River Raider it will fit much easier....we had to do some extra trim work with the Dremel to get it all in there.

Either way, I was like you, with all the stories of hydrolock, this is just some added insurance. Let us know what you get!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am having the ARB Safari Snorkel installed tomorrow. I will get back tomorrow how things went.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacement hoods are a dime a dozen on here, go with AEV. Quarter panels, not so much. I don't care either way cuz I dont see ever taking mine off.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have had the river raider snorkel for about a month now, construction and quality were great. install was a little tricky, i dont notice much wind noise because i have a hard top. only thing i can complain about is the wait time for the snorkel to arrive
Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Both great products.

I run the AEV because it was less expensive, and has a pre-filter option.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Wild Boar Snorkle

Wild Boar has a new design coming out, Call Chris he can send finished product pictures,
Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I wish someone would come out with a snorkle that hugged the body a little closer or went in front of the windshield at the corner, the reason I wont get one is I do a lot of tight wheeling in trees and I know I would ripp that thing off and break it pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Snorkle Options?