Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: WHICH ONE DO YOU LIKE
AEV
56.14%
RIVER RAIDER
35.96%
VOLANT
7.89%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Snorkels snorkels snorkels

Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the AEV. The ability to yank it off, plug the hood hole and run stock is nice. I even kinda dig the Coleman look.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Another vote for River Raider!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
I think rod as the AEV which he cut into his bushwackers...it looks pretty good.
I agree Rod did a fantastic job w/t the cutting of BWs

just hard to bring myself to doing that
Old 11-08-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the styling of the rr best but I don't know how any of them compare in efficiency.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I too was undecided between the RR and the AEV. I'm favoring the AEV for various reasons:

1. Price
2. ease of installation and uninstall if necessary
3. The AEV filters water out. You know, those little holes on the distal end of the snorkel that drains water and keeps it from reaching the filter in case of rain or some serious splashing. RR lacks this. Over all the AEV is a better design from a engineering stand point. I chose function over form.
4. Works in perfect hormony with the AEV hood. That would mean no cutting necessary.
5. If you don't like the mushroom look you can always mod it to fit a ARB air ram.
6. There really isn't a mod for the radio antenna that works well if you install the RR where with the AEV no mod necessary.

As for the RR it looks alot better than the AEV. If you ask me about aluminum vs plastic...a hit hard enough to crack the plastic will also dent the aluminum.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Volant snorkel is one of the UGLIEST pieces of plastic I've ever seen. It could be the best working, quietest, easiest to install snorkel and it would still never go anywhere near my rig.

The top of the AEV is ugly, but manageable.

I like the River Raider one the most.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

RR for me, painted to match the Jeep.

After drilling 10 holes in the sides for the rock sliders, I'm not the least bit concerned about cutting a hole in the side of the Jeep.
I'll have to decide what to do with the radio antenna, I guess.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

missing the none of the above option. These are about as creative as my 7 yr old.....when he was 4
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
missing the none of the above option. These are about as creative as my 7 yr old.....when he was 4
Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

ok so yeah, i was actually (previous to reading this) planning on buying the volant because i could just get the CAI now and upgrade to snorkel later....I didnt look at a picture of the volant before deciding. After finding this post and looking at it...umm not so much :P

I have no idea what they were thinking. i was so excited about this thing...YUCK!

I think im forced to go with the AEV which actually suprised me at how cheap it was. RR is just rediculous priced. For how simple and cheapily it is desighned i wouldnt expect to pay over 300 for it.

Im going with AEV =D The only down fall to me is how far forward the snorkel runs. But w/e i can always get a new hood to make it flow

Here is my question. like i said i was planning on getting just a CAI first and then swapping to snorkel later. But a snorkel will work the same as a cool air intake right? I mean as far as engine noise and all and performance? what exactly would differ between the two? would i still get increased performance and a more wholesome engine sound? more beefy?

Thanks guys

Zack

Quick Reply: Snorkels snorkels snorkels