Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snorkels... pros & cons

Old 01-15-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snork Dorks, mall crawlers, this thread is staying real classy.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Darn it, I guess I forgot to get out and take pictures of myself crossing the Mighty Miss. Why are you up in arms with the whole military thing? Was my point not valid? Jeeps and other off road vehicles travel in the same terrain as most military vehicles. Pre-filters do actually pre clean the incoming air, hence its name. There have been plenty of examples of vehicles in dusty, sandy places having snorkels shown in this thread. You just continue to bash them by name-calling and requesting more data. And I do in fact take my jeep to the mall! That one sure hurt.
The water fording point is valid.
But who water fordes everyday.
My JK took in water at 24" maybe a bad seal somewhere. Why would you need a roof level snorkel when over the hood water level is pretty risky.

Other than that its just a long straw sucking dust. Just like a underhood filter.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
Snork Dorks, mall crawlers, this thread is staying real classy.
Yah. Its pretty funny.
Join us.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Does everyone ford water daily? No

Are snorkels are needed item for above the windshield? No

Can a high mount snorkel save your motor? Yes. It has saved me once.

Do snorkels pull in extra dust? Not necessarily.

Is constantly telling people why they don't need a snorkel making you seem more credible or intelligent? No.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet10
Okay GI Joe. Follow the Mall Crawl Scene.
And yes I am a Bad Ass Mechanical Engineer. I take no offense to any comments in this thread. Yet Snork Dorks do. I would like to see data that shows benefits for dust removal.

I don't doubt it's water fording ability. But if you cross anything deeper than your hood. That bitch will float away. So get off your Mil Spec soap box. I was not commenting on drowning a jeep. That dude from Israel was saying a Snork helps with dust. It does not. Add a vortex cleaner under the hood for dust removal. Its a round thing under the hood that creates a vortex to drop sand out before flowing thru filter element.

Military Vehicles do not compare to your Mall Crawler. Please post a pic of your Jeep's water fording ability.

Next
You've made some good points that certainly have made me rethink the value of snorkels for dust, at least without a vortex device or prefilter, but the arrogant commentary accompanying them takes away from their effectiveness. Usually, people are above that on this forum. I'm sure you can find a better way to offer your expertise and thereby earn the respect you think you deserve.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
You've made some good points that certainly have made me rethink the value of snorkels for dust, at least without a vortex device or prefilter, but the arrogant commentary accompanying them takes away from their effectiveness. Usually, people are above that on this forum. I'm sure you can find a better way to offer your expertise and thereby earn the respect you think you deserve.
Lately I have grown bored of this forum. It's the same warmed over topic.

People think Jeep owners should share a bond just because they own a jeep.

Am I arrogant......yes. Did I make a point.....yes. Do I care about earning respect or cred......Not via internet. I keep my ride simple.

I found this entertaining....yet still boring.

Thanks for the comments. Hope to see you on the trail.

This will be my last post.

Ernie
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, keep the comments civil and on-topic. Thanks and Happy Jeeping!!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Actually, the only thing he is say that has some logic is that there are alternatives. He has not proven the lack of effectiveness of the snorkel. The fact that basic snorkels w/o prefilters are consistently used on desert vehicles would suggest a practice that works. If you notice no difference using a snorkel in the desert would you continue to use one? Probably not.

As for hydro locking your engine... it only takes a puddle. The JK intake is up against the hood and the serpentine belt will pull water up against the hood. In just a couple of minutes i found these examples. I remember reading a bunch of these in the past. All had the same story. It nearly happened to me. Small puddle and my filter was wet. That is why I got my snorkel.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...e-help-254281/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-dead-308492/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...estart-297325/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-start-297876/
Old 01-15-2015, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engineers..... I love engineers. Eapecially the ones that think they are the only smart people in the room. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_L...hool_explosion

I still want a snorkle. Maybe i want it just for looks, because in the end, im the only one i am out to impress.

Maybe i will get the chance to test it out one day? No real downside to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-141172325.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	592140  

Last edited by Earth Siege; 01-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

I learned a lot in this thread I tell ya! All this info got my head spinning!

Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator!

Quick Reply: snorkels... pros & cons