Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snorkels... pros & cons

Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet10
LOL, Dude that's a mini Cooper. Feel free to look like that douche bag!

A fart would kill that engine. They forgot the Super Glue. Hood is missing, where is the mouse?

OMG I Just fell out of my Chair.
These replies become funnier by the post... Unfortunately, humor can't cover ignorance...
Mini Cooper cars, which you ridicule, won the Dakar, the toughest and longest Rally on earth, by far tougher than Baja 1000.

The very best and most experienced rally car engineers designed snorkels for the Mini, and for other rally cars, but I take your word that you know better...

You see photographs which disprove you claims, one by one, but keep clinging to false preconceptions... end of discussion.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-15-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
These replies become funnier by the post... Unfortunately, humor can't cover ignorance...
Mini Cooper cars, which you ridicule, won the Dakar, the toughest and longest Rally on earth, by far tougher than Baja 1000.

The very best and most experienced rally car engineers designed snorkels for the Mini, and for other rally cars, but I take your word that you know better...

You see photographs which disprove you claims, one by one, but keep clinging to false preconceptions... end of discussion.

Sorry bub. It's my Mechanical Engineering education and offroad experience that prompts me to question cheap plastic toys and silly add ons like a snorkels.

I rock crawl my jeep along level 3s and 4s trails. Simple JKUR with a leveling kit, 35s on Rock Monsters.

I just dont see the benefit in it. So the price and dust free/clean air benefit is a Con. Dust is everywhere. 3ft to 300ft in the air.

As the thread title says pros and cons.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it not the pre-filter on a snorkel that makes it cleaner to use in dust environments? A ram air top would just clog the air filter just as fast as without a snorkel.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Is it not the pre-filter on a snorkel that makes it cleaner to use in dust environments? A ram air top would just clog the air filter just as fast as without a snorkel.
Pre-filters aren't all born the same, and so are snorkels. Some function better than others. A well-designed snorkel does a good job at blocking sand before the air filter, but a well designed pre-filter would still be an improvement, especially for the finer dust.

When a snorkel has a "sink", either water or dust are trapped in it. If it doesn't have it, then a pre-filter would do the vast majority of the job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rugged Ridge Snorkel - flow - JPEG.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	592101

Last edited by GJeep; 01-15-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
Pre-filters aren't all born the same, and so are snorkels. Some function better than others. A well-designed snorkel does a good job at blocking sand before the air filter, but a well designed pre-filter would still be an improvement, especially for the finer dust.

When a snorkel has a "sink", either water or dust are trapped in it. If it doesn't have it, then a pre-filter would do the vast majority of the job.

Attachment 592101

All the other stuff like bugs, dragon flies, pollen and rubber gets caught in the filter. You know the less dense stuff? Stuff that flies at roof level.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

All the other stuff like bugs, dragon flies, pollen and rubber gets caught in the filter. You know the less dense stuff? Stuff that flies at roof level.
That's what pre-filters are for.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TreyJK
That's what pre-filters are for.
So. You run a prefilter on top of a long bent snorkel that connects to an airbox with an airfilter that connects to an intake tube that connects to a throttle body. Its like sucking air through a straw. Wait a Disney Mickey Mouse straw with the ears and shit.

Huh.

That nonesense goes against all fluid dynamics and efficiency calculations of an Air Pump. Your engine is..... an air pump. The more shit you put upstream of it, the less efficient it is. Unless of course you go "Boosted" which a snorkel is not.

I'd just rather change my filter and save the money.

Still a con.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Oh you must be right. I guess I was just making that up... What's your deal against snorkels? They obviously have benefits or safari and military vehicles wouldn't use them. Oh but you're a mechanical engineer so they must be wrong. I'd rather spend $400 on a snorkel than $4000 on a new engine if I ever did happen to drown it, and yes, I actually like the look of my AEV snorkel :gasp:
Old 01-15-2015, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Oh you must be right. I guess I was just making that up... What's your deal against snorkels? They obviously have benefits or safari and military vehicles wouldn't use them. Oh but you're a mechanical engineer so they must be wrong. I'd rather spend $400 on a snorkel than $4000 on a new engine if I ever did happen to drown it, and yes, I actually like the look of my AEV snorkel :gasp:
Okay GI Joe. Follow the Mall Crawl Scene.
And yes I am a Bad Ass Mechanical Engineer. I take no offense to any comments in this thread. Yet Snork Dorks do. I would like to see data that shows benefits for dust removal.

I don't doubt it's water fording ability. But if you cross anything deeper than your hood. That bitch will float away. So get off your Mil Spec soap box. I was not commenting on drowning a jeep. That dude from Israel was saying a Snork helps with dust. It does not. Add a vortex cleaner under the hood for dust removal. Its a round thing under the hood that creates a vortex to drop sand out before flowing thru filter element.

Military Vehicles do not compare to your Mall Crawler. Please post a pic of your Jeep's water fording ability.

Next

Last edited by helmet10; 01-15-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Okay GI Joe. Follow the Mall Crawl Scene. And yes I am a Bad Ass Mechanical Engineer. I take no offense to any comments in this thread. Yet Snork Dorks do. I would like to see data that shows benefits for dust removal. I don't doubt it's water fording ability. But if you cross anything deeper than your hood. That bitch will float away. So get off your Mil Spec soap box. I was not commenting on drowning a jeep. That dude from Israel was saying a Snork helps with dust. It does not. Add a vortex cleaner under the hood for dust removal. Its a round thing under the hood that creates a vortex to drop sand out before flowing thru filter element. Military Vehicles do not compare to your Mall Crawler. Please post a pic of your Jeep's water fording ability. Next
Darn it, I guess I forgot to get out and take pictures of myself crossing the Mighty Miss. Why are you up in arms with the whole military thing? Was my point not valid? Jeeps and other off road vehicles travel in the same terrain as most military vehicles. Pre-filters do actually pre clean the incoming air, hence its name. There have been plenty of examples of vehicles in dusty, sandy places having snorkels shown in this thread. You just continue to bash them by name-calling and requesting more data. And I do in fact take my jeep to the mall! That one sure hurt.

Last edited by TreyJK; 01-15-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: snorkels... pros & cons