Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snorkels... pros & cons

Old 01-15-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^
Dude, whats your point? Other than you think snorkles are useless?
Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cons part III

Originally Posted by A'sJK
^^^^
Dude, whats your point? Other than you think snorkles are useless?

They are useless. Homie needs to justify his purchase/google experience with false claims of cleaner air 3 ft higher. It's silly. Dust just so happens to stay hood level in the desert I guess. A snorkel will help keep air filter clean on a Safari Hunt.

Okay. We all know "the googlez" is "The Truth".....wait I thought Paul Pierce was the Truth. I digress.

Make sure you add a throttlebody spacer to that Snork.

If you really want to fight dust. Use a paper filter and change it often. Or better yet get a centerfuge. Like a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

Ernie
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet10

It's not an attack. An attack would mean that I was trying to hurt you. I'm not. It's me experience. I drive a 13JKUR it has 38000 miles on it. I work in the oilfield in Western Oklahoma. The Dust Bowl. My intake is a Banks with K&N filter, 50% of my driving is down dusty dirt roads at 40mph. Before my 13JKUR I owned a 2008 Dodge Mega 4X4 on 37"s with 6" lift with a factory filter. It never once needed a snorkel for dust. Before that, I drove my wife's 2008 Dodge Durango for 40,000 miles on those same dusty roads with a factory air filter. Before that I worked for Halliburton that issued us Ford Crown Victoria's that drove 90% in dusty dirty roads, following 20 pieces of frac equipment pulled by 20 Kenworth Tractor Trailers that did not have Snorkels. On a side note, I drove my Subaru STI to drilling rigs on a regular basis, just to Rally. And it never needed a Snorkel. I believe I have experienced the dusty, silty stuff you write about. I have never felt the need to run a snorkel. Nor do the other Oilfield Consultants that I employ for drilling and fracing wells. In my opinion snorkels to combat dust is a weak excuse. It's not any cleaner 3 ft higher when we drive through 15ft dust clouds.

I have not been Safari Hunting, but I know a guy that does is for a living and they have some insane rains storms. He actually buried a Range Rover, it did not have a snorkel.
It probably could have used one.

Like I said, whatever excuse you need to sport your snorkled Sport.

Good luck with you purchase. I'll try to find pics of all my rides......all snork less. Except for the STI is had a scoop for intercooler. I digress.

Thanks for the invite, I'll pass on the desert. It's kind of chalking and dry, reminds me of work. I prefer Cabo San Lucas beaches and Baja trucks.

Ernie
I empty my snorkel's pre-filter out periodically during especially dusty trips. That is debris that didn't make it to the air filter. Caterpillar and all, and the military must agree, since they equip their gear similarly. And you may wish to reconsider that K&N. OEM paper filters are better. Check out bobstheoilguy's review.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I empty my snorkel's pre-filter out periodically during especially dusty trips. That is debris that didn't make it to the air filter. Caterpillar and all, and the military must agree, since they equip their gear similarly. And you may wish to reconsider that K&N. OEM paper filters are better. Check out bobstheoilguy's review.
I agree paper filters are better. Check my last response. I clean my k&n often.

Most cats, cummins and detroits I work around have vortex filters. Not snorkels. We employ frac crews with 15 to 20 units with 2250hp deck engines mated to frac pumps. Just regular pleated round filters.

Ill check out the review. But I know k&n gives up cleaning efficiency for better flow. I can live with that, coupled to regular cleanings.

Ernie

I must rest. Have a good day
Old 01-15-2015, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I have had my AEV snorkel for over 6 years. I got one right when they came out with them. I have stood on it, kneed on it, sat on it, bashed it with tree branches, rubbed it up against a cliff face, and still no visible damage out side of the scuffs. It is one tough Snorkel.

Learn the value of a snorkel before you start dogging them. Good for dust, good for water crossing, good for cold air. And if you think your hood has to be under water to seize your engine, you don't know much. Read up on JK and hydrolocks. The belt will pull water up and throw it up on the inside of the hood. Water travels along the hood and then falls into your intake. Next thing you know, your engine is locked up.

Now while Jeep has added foam to minimize that, it has not stopped it completely. It still happens.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
I went on a hunting safari in South Africa 2 years ago. ALL of their safari vehicles, mostly Toyota Land Cruisers, had AEV style snorkels. They were 100% for the dusty environment. The winter is their operating season, and it is dry and VERY dusty. They told me that none of their vehicles had ever seen a deep water crossing, and that the snorkels were strictly for reducing dust ingestion. They run those vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles in the dustiest of conditions. The snorkels extend the lives of their engines (and air filters) significantly.

Baja trucks are not meant to be long lived. They wouldn't benefit them enough for their engines' short lives.
I assume they were running a prefilter on the snorkel?

Only reason I ask is because since getting the lightbar and unable to run the pre filter my air filter has had the life span of a fruit fly.... well maybe not that bad. But its pretty crappy.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I have had my AEV snorkel for over 6 years. I got one right when they came out with them. I have stood on it, kneed on it, sat on it, bashed it with tree branches, rubbed it up against a cliff face, and still no visible damage out side of the scuffs. It is one tough Snorkel.

Learn the value of a snorkel before you start dogging them. Good for dust, good for water crossing, good for cold air. And if you think your hood has to be under water to seize your engine, you don't know much. Read up on JK and hydrolocks. The belt will pull water up and throw it up on the inside of the hood. Water travels along the hood and then falls into your intake. Next thing you know, your engine is locked up.

Now while Jeep has added foam to minimize that, it has not stopped it completely. It still happens.
I dont plan on deep water anymore. JKUR takes in water in places I haven't found. Maybe a bad seal. Maybe it was the Fireball is was drinking. As for dust. Try this test. Roll down your window about an inch and run down a dirt road or better yet follow someone. See how clean the air is at roof level.

Snorkels are to Jeep Wranglers like Spoilers are to Honda Civics. Jus fo Sho.

Sorry had to drop that one.

Ernie
Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

by helmet10
It's not an attack. An attack would mean that I was trying to hurt you. I'm not.

It's me experience. I drive a 13JKUR it has 38000 miles on it. I work in the oilfield in Western Oklahoma. The Dust Bowl. My intake is a Banks with K&N filter, 50% of my driving is down dusty dirt roads at 40mph. Before my 13JKUR I owned a 2008 Dodge Mega 4X4 on 37"s with 6" lift with a factory filter. It never once needed a snorkel for dust. Before that, I drove my wife's 2008 Dodge Durango for 40,000 miles on those same dusty roads with a factory air filter. Before that I worked for Halliburton that issued us Ford Crown Victoria's that drove 90% in dusty dirty roads, following 20 pieces of frac equipment pulled by 20 Kenworth Tractor Trailers that did not have Snorkels. On a side note, I drove my Subaru STI to drilling rigs on a regular basis, just to Rally. And it never needed a Snorkel. I believe I have experienced the dusty, silty stuff you write about. I have never felt the need to run a snorkel. Nor do the other Oilfield Consultants that I employ for drilling and fracing wells. In my opinion snorkels to combat dust is a weak excuse. It's not any cleaner 3 ft higher when we drive through 15ft dust clouds.
They only reason I bother to reply this, are the readers who may be misled by such baseless misconceptions.

If you didn’t have to often clean the air filters, than what you regard as dust doesn’t come near real sand dust.

Did you ever drive in this kind of sand dust wake? –
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sand Wake.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	592074

You guessed that the dust is hood high. Re-guess...

It seems that not only you never experienced a sand storm, you didn't even see a picture of one.
The following pic' shows what can happen within seconds --
Visibility drops from 6 miles to 100~150 ft.
This is at noon. The hardly visible car ahead is about 120 ft. away:

Name:	Sand Storm - windshield view - JPEG.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	592080

This is one of the best Dakar rally cars ever made - the Dakar Mini Cooper. They include nothing that isn't absolutely essential. Notice the snorkel... :

Name:	DAKAR Mini Cooper - JPEG.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	592071

Last edited by GJeep; 01-15-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Omg

Originally Posted by GJeep
So, you teachings about snorkels, are based on a guess...

This is one of the best Dakar rally ever made - the Dakar Mini Cooper.
They include nothing that isn't absolutely essential. Notice the snorkel... :

Attachment 592071

LOL, Dude that's a mini Cooper. Feel free to look like that douche bag!

A fart would kill that engine. They forgot the Super Glue. Hood is missing, where is the mouse?

OMG I Just fell out of my Chair.

Last edited by helmet10; 01-15-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:	Large vs Fine Sand Grain - JPEG.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	592081

The Loess soil we have in the south, in parts of the Negev Desert, makes very fine flour-like fine dust which hangs in the air for a long time.
With no wind, you leave behind a dust wake which can be half a mile long, along the trail.
(The pic' is not from here.)

Last edited by GJeep; 01-15-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: snorkels... pros & cons