Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snorkels... pros & cons

Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say 80% of the people that get snorkels in the US will likely never do a water crossing worthy of needing a snorkel. The number may be higher, i'm just guessing. I'm in the carolinas and the spots close by here, like Uwharrie or the Gulches for instance, don't have areas that require snorkels. The deepest I've seen the mud pit at Uwharrie my jeep in stock form would have been ok.

I also noted in this thread where a couple people actually utilize a snorkel, and at least one did in a unpredictable situation of flooding. Does that justify the purchase of one? Hardly.

I only mention this because depending on where your jeep is at from a functionality stand point, and what type of off roading you do, you may find that money better spent elsewhere. (tires, lift, lockers, gears, winch, etc...)

I will say this in a positive light. The snorkel is good for keeping water out, that's no secret. But's it's also good at keeping dust out. Some of the areas I wheel are VERY dusty. Any of you that wheel in areas with red clay know exactly what i'm talking about. Just tossing that out there.
Ha! The only time I've had to be pulled was by getting stuck in mud at Gulches! I saw the mud pit in Uwharrie but the wife said no... and I agreed.

I understand your point and based on it, spending money elsewhere on a Wrangler from a functional standpoint is a bad idea anyways. Very few people here have the driving skills that exceed the off roading capability of a stock Wrangler yet we love spending money throwing stuff at it (myself included).

I don't have a snorkel but will eventually get the RR if I do get one seeing that some Wranglers (especially with the 3.8L) hydro-lock while going too fast over a shallow puddle, I see it as money well spent even if it is the ebay knockoff.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

The primary reason that I use the RR snorkel is as a CAI for my supercharger. I really have no other need for it.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

snorkels do more harm than good for a SC. There is proof of that on YouTube and i think RIPP did a test proving that as well. That said, I have a snorkel with my SC. I will give up a couple of ponies and keep my snorkel. Its been a benefit more times than I can count.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
snorkels do more harm than good for a SC. There is proof of that on YouTube and i think RIPP did a test proving that as well. That said, I have a snorkel with my SC. I will give up a couple of ponies and keep my snorkel. Its been a benefit more times than I can count.
True. .unless you dont have an intercooler.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TreyJK
I think he's actually running an AEV snorkel. I installed mine last month and have notice maybe .5 increase in mpg. I don't see how a snorkel would hurt your mileage unless the snorkel is really winding with a lot of angles before it reaches the engine.
do you have the rugged ridge? I think it is the best looking out there, don't want an elephants trunk laying on the hood. I think it is good insurance but I don't plan on crossing a river just some small streams but you never know.....
Old 01-13-2015, 11:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
I run the RR snorkel. It did not decrease the mileage. I do notice a little bit of more "pep" in the city when doing 40-50MPH.
Did not decrease the mileage but also did not increase? I am good with that. Nice lookin jeep too. I lived in surprise a while back, some nice wheeling out there.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goaterguy
..... I understand your point and based on it, spending money elsewhere on a Wrangler from a functional standpoint is a bad idea anyways. Very few people here have the driving skills that exceed the off roading capability of a stock Wrangler yet we love spending money throwing stuff at it (myself included).
I agree with this, and I don't...
Yes, many people don't have the driving skills that exceed the off roading capability of a stock Wrangler.
Yet, especially for the average offroading driver skills, larger wheels & better tread can make the difference between a smooth obstacle crossing or multiple attempts, a lift determines if the Jeep crosses or gets seated on its belly, a steel bumper improves the approach angle (see the pic' at the left -- without the lift, the stock bumper wouldn't allow the wheels to even reach the step), etc'.

As for a snorkel, average (or less) driving skills mean doing more water fording mistakes, so I'd say that a snorkel has a bigger chance for saving the day than for more skilled drivers.
When there's thick dust, a snorkel would get cleaner air to the filter, regardless of driver skills.

I don't have a snorkel but will eventually get the RR if I do get one seeing that some Wranglers (especially with the 3.8L) hydro-lock while going too fast over a shallow puddle, I see it as money well spent even if it is the ebay knockoff.
With my previous Jeep (JKU Sport, 3.8L), I went through some large puddles on roads, up to 4"~5" deep, some 80 ft long, which I entered at about 40~50 mph.
A lot of water got everywhere, including on top of the hood, windshield and roof. Never had a problem with that.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-14-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Water Fording and Snorks

Think about Duck Taping doors and vents closed.

I did 24" water crossing once and took 2 weeks to get mildew smell out of my 13 JK.
I still have not found where water got in.

Most dudes I know that have Snorkels don't touch water. Kinda weird.
I have Banks intake.

Ernie
Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thestlrsfan
do you have the rugged ridge? I think it is the best looking out there, don't want an elephants trunk laying on the hood. I think it is good insurance but I don't plan on crossing a river just some small streams but you never know.....
No, sorry, I have the AEV elephant trunk. But I'd agree, the RR does look less intrusive. I knew I wanted a snorkel and I got AEV from Northridge for a little cheaper than the RR. And I know that anything from AEV is most likely over-engineered and problem free. And I kinda like the big, ugly, Safari snorkel look. Well, unless it's the Volant snorkel, that looks like a hood leach in my humble and biased opinion.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the AEV snorkel as you can see if there is a problem with it. The RR is tucked in the body and impossible to inspect on the fly. You also loose your windshield lights which I wasn't going to give up. Originally I was going to get the RR snorkel and called Northridge, he talked me out of it saying they had a bunch come back and no longer carrys them, so I went with AEV

Quick Reply: snorkels... pros & cons