Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snorkels... pros & cons

Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Out here in the pines there is a lot of water crossings that u never know how deep it will be (a duece and a half coulda tore it up the night before) and I run a aev snorkel and river raider breather extention kit that ties them all into my air box and essentially my snorkel. Someone knocked extention kits up there and said about bad seal.... Well if u replace the seal when it blows then u don't have a problem do you? That extention kit has saved me MANY diff services!
No pics from the outside but here I am stuck about window deep in this soup lol u can see my Sideview mirror in the corner barely above water.... I was stuck there around twenty min.... No problems....

Last edited by Jersey_Devil; 05-29-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jersey Devil, did you get any water inside your cab?
I have the Rugged ridge snorkel, and I bought it for two reasons. One, it fit with my Rugged Ridge light bar. Second, I liked the look of it. But, I have noticed a potential for a disaster in the design. The snorkel has three connections ( four if you include the drain hose on the bottom of the goose neck ). If these are not water tight, you can suck in water, especially from the drain hose hanging out of the bottom of the goose neck. Most of the snorkel path runs below the air box, not equivalent or higher like most other snorkels. This honestly makes me a little nervous. And no, I haven't tried her in deep water yet, I need to do the breather tubes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snorkel3.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	462716   Click image for larger version

Name:	snorkel1.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	462717   Click image for larger version

Name:	snorkel2.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	462718   Click image for larger version

Name:	534290_10152100164465384_1206615581_n.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	462719  
Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt008
Hey Jersey Devil, did you get any water inside your cab?
I have the Rugged ridge snorkel, and I bought it for two reasons. One, it fit with my Rugged Ridge light bar. Second, I liked the look of it. But, I have noticed a potential for a disaster in the design. The snorkel has three connections ( four if you include the drain hose on the bottom of the goose neck ). If these are not water tight, you can suck in water, especially from the drain hose hanging out of the bottom of the goose neck. Most of the snorkel path runs below the air box, not equivalent or higher like most other snorkels. This honestly makes me a little nervous. And no, I haven't tried her in deep water yet, I need to do the breather tubes.
Don't forget to seal the bottom of ur factory air box with silicone too.... There's some holes that needs to be sealed up. Yes I did get water in the cab...or did RR give u a new bottom section of the box? The whole time I was stuck u could look out and see the lil air bubbles from it seeping in my doors and slowly I started to hear the dripping.... All in all I had about 6" of water inside the cab
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

The bottom of the factory airbox is replaced by the one in the picture. And yes, I seals the holes in it.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 PM
JK Newbie

Jersey_Devil, are you still running the rugged ridge snorkle? Have you noticed any difference in the fuel mileage? I am looking to get one but don't want to kill the crappy mileage that I get now but I want this to be my next mod. Any comments you would want to pass on? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thestlrsfan
Jersey_Devil, are you still running the rugged ridge snorkle? Have you noticed any difference in the fuel mileage? I am looking to get one but don't want to kill the crappy mileage that I get now but I want this to be my next mod. Any comments you would want to pass on? Thanks in advance.
I think he's actually running an AEV snorkel. I installed mine last month and have notice maybe .5 increase in mpg. I don't see how a snorkel would hurt your mileage unless the snorkel is really winding with a lot of angles before it reaches the engine.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by thestlrsfan
I run the RR snorkel. It did not decrease the mileage. I do notice a little bit of more "pep" in the city when doing 40-50MPH.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say 80% of the people that get snorkels in the US will likely never do a water crossing worthy of needing a snorkel. The number may be higher, i'm just guessing. I'm in the carolinas and the spots close by here, like Uwharrie or the Gulches for instance, don't have areas that require snorkels. The deepest I've seen the mud pit at Uwharrie my jeep in stock form would have been ok.

I also noted in this thread where a couple people actually utilize a snorkel, and at least one did in a unpredictable situation of flooding. Does that justify the purchase of one? Hardly.

I only mention this because depending on where your jeep is at from a functionality stand point, and what type of off roading you do, you may find that money better spent elsewhere. (tires, lift, lockers, gears, winch, etc...)

I will say this in a positive light. The snorkel is good for keeping water out, that's no secret. But's it's also good at keeping dust out. Some of the areas I wheel are VERY dusty. Any of you that wheel in areas with red clay know exactly what i'm talking about. Just tossing that out there.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got the balls to wanna cross a river, or haul ass in a caravan on a dusty road in your jeep...then why the hesitation and anxiety on cutting hoods or fenders to install one? Having ruined a CJ motor in water, i think its cheap insurance regardless of where you wheel. Hood $800...motor <$$$$...You never know...It only takes one time.
Make your own or buy any one of the brands out there and be done with it. A snorkle is simply a functional tool...that is ugly...and thats what makes it cool.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree with helping with dust. Living in Arizona, I see LOTS of dust. I run factory filters and soon I may get a pre-filter as well.

Quick Reply: snorkels... pros & cons