Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snorkels... pros & cons

Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by helmet10
LOL. Good catch. I did change it. Guys have fun.
you just lost your forum cred. These guys can sniff out BS before the bull has a chance to show up on scene. Man o man.......

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 01-18-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they're more gullible in the Camaro forum?
Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
you just lost your forum cred. These guys can sniff out BS before the bull has a chance to show up on scene. Man o man.......
Did he really ever have any here? Look again at his first post in this thread.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can vouch for the river raider safari snorkel and say that paired with my RIPP cold air intake I picked up 2mpg true mileage after tripping my odometer and drilling through a tank of petrol. I'm surprised but I'm happy. I'm getting an average of 18.1... That's insane.... But it's true. Granted, I live in Mobile AL on the Gulf Coast and its fairly flat around here.

We utilize the intakes and the snorkels unlike most wheelers. Many of the trails around here have water hazards that no stock jeep can go through and most on 35s and lifted three inches will be submerging the headlights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1383725654.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	592599  
Old 01-18-2015, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh and another thing, I've noticed a bit more pep around 2500 rpms and above and when I'm around 40mph.

This is a photo of my buddy Don. Don hydro locked his jk right after this pic was taken. The water gets about 4 inches deeper three feet in front of his jeep here and then vrrrrpllllllshhhh *dead*. We flushed it and disassembled it in the field and everything was fine after a fluid change but that night, I ordered my intake and snorkel.

He's running 35s, and 2.5 lift.

I run 5.5 inches of lift and 35s.

Name:	image-2126861645.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	592600  
Old 01-18-2015, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

This YJ hydro locked in the same spot but bc he charged into the water like a war horse. He's not the best driver... Anyway, this shows that fast puddle splashing as well as deep water crossings that submerge just the very front of the rig are enough to drown the intake or splash enough up into the engine bay that it gets water into the intake.

Snorkels, when installed properly along with axle breather extensions and other prepping can be great additions to your jeep build.

Plus it looks cool.... So that's a thing.

Name:	image-1147783629.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	592603  
Old 01-18-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aldonoward3
I can vouch for the river raider safari snorkel and say that paired with my RIPP cold air intake I picked up 2mpg true mileage after tripping my odometer and drilling through a tank of petrol. I'm surprised but I'm happy. I'm getting an average of 18.1... That's insane.... But it's true. Granted, I live in Mobile AL on the Gulf Coast and its fairly flat around here.

We utilize the intakes and the snorkels unlike most wheelers. Many of the trails around here have water hazards that no stock jeep can go through and most on 35s and lifted three inches will be submerging the headlights.
Did you have to move battery tray and TIPM to get hose to fit?

Do you think aluminum tubing can fit there, instead of hose?

I like that set up, its unique.

Ernie
Old 01-18-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

I talked the the guys from River Raider. They have a hard hose for the 3.8. They said it would work with a 3.6, but you'd have to lose the plastic engine cover.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you have to move battery tray and TIPM to get hose to fit? Do you think aluminum tubing can fit there, instead of hose? I like that set up, its unique. Ernie
I did. The snorkel came with a battery tray relocation plate and I simply trimmed the tabs off the fuse box and scooted it over about 3 inches. And remounted with new tabs. Same for the TIPM.

I really appreciate that man, it's always nice to have someone admire your garage engineering lol!

Aluminum tubing will fit, I'm going that route eventually BC I'm an electrical supply sales rep and I can use a conduit bender to make the bends look pro. As for the setup I have now, I thought the corrugated hose would be an issue with all the ridges but with my increased power and mileage, I'm content for now.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever excuse you need to sport the look with your Sport.
Same reason you see all BAJA trucks run snorkels......wait they don't.
Goodluck with your choice.

Shit I forgot, camels are kind of built in snorkels, so yes its a good idea for desert.

Ernie
I think running flexible hoses to filters located in the interior of the cabin is the functional equivalent of a snorkel.

Quick Reply: snorkels... pros & cons