Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel vs. Cold Air Intake

Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ripp has dyno test showing a drop in hp with a snorkel. You can find stories on here of people sucking in water with CAI in basically normal city driving, through puddles etc. hard to understand, but prob has more to do with oversized tires throwing water up into the engine bay, and wheel well splash guards not keeping it out. I have been using a KN drop in, in the factory box. Of course lots of people will tell you the KN is crap and will kill your engine, but I have used them in almost every auto I have had, including a civic that was traded in with 199,000 miles on it's vtec.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

That RIPP test (available on YouTube) was the Gen I AEV snorkel. I don't believe they ever tested the much larger second gen.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
There's a lot of talk about the JK intake being vulnerable to water ingestion but with some common sense you can typically avoid that downfall. I've been through 40" of standing water without sucking it into my factory air box. Sure, a snorkel would have been better, but I didn't have one and don't intend on buying one. The CAI's are more for looks since (as pointed out) they all pull air in from the engine bay- albeit typically isolated. Go look on the track how to do a proper cold air intake- remove a headlight and run ductwork straight to the throttle body. That's obviously not a practical solution for our application, but it is a true cold air intake.
Back in the day, yes, that's exactly how they ran CAIs on street rods, or setups similar.

I did this on my JKU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-620638575.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	543353   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3133031667.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	543354   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3273863702.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	543356  
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Legolasies
I was thinking about purchasing a K&N CAI, but then I came across a snorkel, and I was wondering which one is better to have installed on your JK? Is it possible to have both? Would it add on to your performance gains? If anyone could help me make a decision that would be helpful. By the way I live in the city, and don't plain on doing any driving through pools of water any time soon.
Think you already answered when you said no plans of driving in water. There are no performance gains in a snorkel. I had one on my 13'. So for you it seems it would be a cosmetic feature. As far as cai I would never use one but I also off road mine and live in the Midwest which means I see water.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There aren't any noticeable performance gains in either. CAI, will provide a slightly different sound, but nothing you will notice. Unless you remap your FI to mingle along with it. As for the Snorkel, the benefit is not only preventing water intake, but also getting your intake high, out of dust plumes when driving dusty trails, roads, etc. I'm always amazed at how many ignore this benefit and believe if you are t doing deep water, there is no other use.......

In short, if you are getting the CAI, and plan on other mods to the motor, then you will help it achieve a little more power, but don't expect a huge difference. If you aren't doing anything else to the motor, a snorkel adds a cool look, and function over a CAI.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
There aren't any noticeable performance gains in either. CAI, will provide a slightly different sound, but nothing you will notice. Unless you remap your FI to mingle along with it. As for the Snorkel, the benefit is not only preventing water intake, but also getting your intake high, out of dust plumes when driving dusty trails, roads, etc. I'm always amazed at how many ignore this benefit and believe if you are t doing deep water, there is no other use.......

In short, if you are getting the CAI, and plan on other mods to the motor, then you will help it achieve a little more power, but don't expect a huge difference. If you aren't doing anything else to the motor, a snorkel adds a cool look, and function over a CAI.
Well said… There is a reason why tractors have pipes with pre-cleaners attached. You are correct in saying people only think of "water" when mentioning snorkels. There are many reasons for it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
Ripp has dyno test showing a drop in hp with a snorkel...
That was with a supercharger installed though, right? A stock motor wont need as much air. It might not be a limiting factor. It might even get some ram-air effect.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Every time you change direction you will reduce the amount of air that can travel thru a tube and the sharper the turn the more you loose.

A drop in k&n will pay for itself over time if you are just looking to spend money on a mod but don't expect to get anything from a cai. A snorkle can save you from hydrolocking the motor and can keep your filters cleaner longer by using a pre filter and having the intake higher where the air is typically cleaner when off roading. Personally I have seen 4 JK's hydrolock from splashing thru puddles.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Personally I have seen 4 JK's hydrolock from splashing thru puddles.
I don't know why people don't believe that. I saw a buddy's wife hydrolock his JK in about a foot of water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steel pirate
That was with a supercharger installed though, right? A stock motor wont need as much air. It might not be a limiting factor. It might even get some ram-air effect.
From what I remember, yes they tested it on a SC jk and then disconnected it to show the gain/loss of like 30 hp. I doubt there is a 30 hp loss on a naturally aspirated engine, you might notice that, and I have not heard anyone complain about a noticeable hp loss after getting a snorkel. This thread got me thinking this afternoon, I pulled and tapped out and brushed off my KN drop in and re-oiled it.

Last edited by ConroeJK; 04-05-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Snorkel vs. Cold Air Intake