Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel vs cold air intake

Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Interesting on the Rugged Ridge snorkel. I don't remember seeing the final dyno results but I remember some early ones that RR had done and there was a slight loss if horsepower overall. Not enough to be noticeable but it was a loss. I assume that the final product was going to yield the same results or maybe even slightly worse since they had to make additional adjustements which made it look like even more restrictive air flow.
Could be because of my Jet Chip too. Feels like I have a smoother power curve as well. I think the AFE gave it too much air.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

So it looks like the snorkel is the route to take pre filter or ram air I always wondered how the ram air kept the rain water out an I'm gunna be going with AEV btw
Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I heard not much gets in there. Talked to someone with the Rugged Ridge snorkel (high mount) and said after like a 12 hour day of driving in non-stop rain both on the road and trails, he drained the snorkel via the supplied valve from RR and barley anything came out. I would imagine even if that valve wasn't there that it would evaporate out. I know it's not the AEV, but same concept.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
My Rugged Ridge Snorkel was just installed last weekend. I get better power and MPG as well as more use out of it than my AFE CAI. Only cost $268 too....

That is the first snorkel I actually like. It the cleanest and most logical design. I love how it enters the truck where it does. Im pi$$ed because I learned of this snorkel 1 day after I installed the Banks Ram Air CAI.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snorkel if you will be doing deep water crossings.

I did a search on this same stuff recently and came to the conclusion that the engine in the 2012 is the best way to go. Seriously though, all the CAI stuff has good and neutral and poor reviews. Instead of spending cash that I felt was better used elsewhere on my JK I put a drop in K&N air filter in when my stocker was ready to be changed and called it good.

That said... deep water crossings, playing in ponds, etc, the snorkel is the way to go. And a friend with a winch.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Only problem I see with any snorkel is I would have to find a new place for my windshield lights...
Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith08jk
Only problem I see with any snorkel is I would have to find a new place for my windshield lights...
Depends on the snorkel. I think the only one that doesn't work with windshield lights is the high mounted RR version. Lights work fine with AEV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4293776909.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	352425
Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenabi
So it looks like the snorkel is the route to take pre filter or ram air I always wondered how the ram air kept the rain water out an I'm gunna be going with AEV btw
The back of the AEV air scoop has a channel that wicks the water out of the incoming air. Very effective. I get pine needles in my airbox, but never water.

Originally Posted by Smith08jk
AEV runs windshield lights no problem.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

The AEV doesn't look any less restrictive than the RR to me?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
My Rugged Ridge Snorkel was just installed last weekend. I get better power and MPG as well as more use out of it than my AFE CAI. Only cost $268 too....

I am getting ready to order the Ruggeed Ridge snorkel myself, for my 2012 JKU. Where did you find it for $268.00?

Quick Reply: Snorkel vs cold air intake