Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

snorkel to S/C on 3.8l

Old 12-26-2020, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default snorkel to S/C on 3.8l

ordered a spectre 4" inlet/outlet cone filter with housing for the air intake(amazon). It is welded on one end but not both. Theres no real solution to add a gasket either. So, it's not water tight. I was looking to fab a snorkel from some thin wall tubing laying around and save some $$ over name brand. has anyone built something similar on the cheap?
It's a 3.8l with a ripp mods vortech v3.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I was going to build an absolute watertight snorkel using the Volant 61518 3-1/2" in and out filter but they are discontinued so wherever they are sold and subsequently sold out then I would have to rebuild the system when they are not available. So what I am going to do is encapsulate my existing AEV dry filter then add the tube on the end. Not sure if I can go the TJ route underneath in the fender well but the exit method may get damaged because we really go down tight trails pushing small trees off to the side. Have to think this out then I can post but might not be for a while.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Dirtman had a sweet DIY snorkel many years ago. River Raider copied his design if I'm remembering the events correctly. I don't see why it couldn't work with the supercharger as you basically pipe it yourself to where you want the air to flow. It goes through the firewall and up into the cowl. Even if you missed a joint, it would still be more resistant to water than some snorkels like the rugged ridge (I've got that one) where the air intake dips down by the frame before feeding into the bottom of the air box.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

The S/C is a 3.5" inlet, I have room for up to an 8" long and 6" across box under the hood. The outlet would go out the same place on the hood as most brand names. The pipes would be above the fender back to the windshield. I found a nice John Deere prefilter with 4" inlet.
I havent been able to find a watertight box with filter. RIpp makes a carbon fiber box but its not watertight either. Fabbing one up seems tedious but might wind up going that route down the road. maybe PVC and HPS silicone...
Old 12-27-2020, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a cheap knock off of the aev one on eBay for 70 bucks shipped. I used automotive seam sealer $25 a tube and fits in a caulk gun. I then took apart the air box and plugged all the holes with seam sealer and added a drain and petcock. I also used seam sealer to seal everything between the snorkel and the airbox. I know for a fact it’s water tight as I have put it to the test multiple times. It only took a few hours to do so it wasn’t that bad at all.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

good idea. I ordered a tube of 3M auto seam sealer this morning.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DadCrawls
good idea. I ordered a tube of 3M auto seam sealer this morning.
I just wiped everything down with either alcohol or mineral spirits do not use acetone. Then just a cheap 1” chip brush and used the caulk gun to goop it everywhere and brushed it to make sure it got in the seams. Remember with seam sealer to get everything done with the first application because a second one will not stick ever no matter what you do and if it does it will eventually peel off the first coat.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

thanks. I'll keep the spectre box and add the seam sealer. I wasn't looking forward to welding an airbox after the fan shroud I just did. TY
Old 12-27-2020, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

No problem. I did have to hack a good portion of the o let to the airbox in order to get the snorkel to fit. Then again there was a reason it was $70 bucks shipped lol

Quick Reply: snorkel to S/C on 3.8l