Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel question.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepcop
How hard is this to install because it said it doesn't come with directions.
My AEV was very easy the most difficult part was cutting the hood. The directions came with a template that made it a little easier to make sure you were cutting the right size hole.

Here is the link to their directions

http://www.aev-conversions.com/ishee...JK_SNORKEL.pdf
Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

The one I ended up ordering for $179 is the EXACT same as the aev one. All the same hardware, specs and design.

The place I bought it from said to download the aev installation instructions to put it on.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepcop
The place I bought it from said to download the aev installation instructions to put it on.
That's not right..... From AEV's website on the Beware of Counterfeits page, Issues With The Fakes........"All AEV Snorkels are proudly made in Detroit, MI".
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester

That's not right..... From AEV's website on the Beware of Counterfeits page, Issues With The Fakes........"All AEV Snorkels are proudly made in Detroit, MI".
Everyone I have spoken with has said they are well worth the money. I would have been more then happy to purchase an AEV snorkel but they are outrageous in price. I couldn't see spending that much.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

sweet, I never knew about a less expensive snorkel system. i'm going to do the unthinkable and go for it. YESSSS!!! something to bed line
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact that the threads about a deliberate counterfeit product are allowed to stay on this forum continues to blow my mind. Especially when there are reputable manufacturers, that sponsors of this forum retail, and recommend, which we cant even mention.

Here is a quote from the AEV counterfeit site:

AEV’s goal is to design and manufacture the best products available. That means that our products won’t always be cheap, and in fact oftentimes that puts them at the higher end of the price range in their particular product category. But all of the costs that go into manufacturing an AEV product are there for a reason. From the type of material, to the manufacturing and coating processes, every choice has been carefully thought out, and each decision contributes to making a high quality part worthy of carrying the AEV name. While some AEV products may be more expensive than competitive products, and all are more expensive than the low-cost counterfeits, AEV products demonstrate long term value in durability, quality and total cost of ownership.

Issues With The Fakes:

AEV's Snorkel is made from high density cross-linked polyethylene, which is extremely strong, durable and UV stable (it's the material of choice for whitewater kayaks). The Malaysian copies are made from linear polyethylene, which is softer and not nearly as strong. The cheap linear polyethylene found in these counterfeits also has very poor UV stability, and if left out in the sun will cause the plastic to break down quickly. ARB's Safari Snorkel has also been knocked off by the same counterfeiters, see ARB's report on the quality of the copies here: Don't Get Burnt - Low Quality Snorkel Copies

Like all AEV parts, our Snorkel is designed in full 3D CAD. This math data is loaded directly into the CNC machines that cut the molds used to manufacture the part. In the production process, the plastic shrinks as it cools. AEV takes this shrinkage into account when designing the part. However the process used to manufacture the fake Malaysian snorkels starts with a genuine AEV Snorkel that they pull a mold off of. Their part will then shrink further in the production process, which can cause fitment issues.

Many of these sellers will try to claim that these are original parts, and many that are sold do not include proper mounting brackets or hardware. AEV will not supply replacement brackets.

The resins used in our Snorkel are about 3x more expensive than the resins used in the copies.
All AEV Snorkels are proudly made in Detroit, MI."

Please support the innovators, especially the ones that innovate in America.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been debated countless times on here already and usually ends up with the conclusion that if you buy the knock-off, somehow you're unpatriotic for not buying USA.

I've run the knock-off for a year with no issues. It hasn't faded, cracked or turn to dust as AEV thinks it will. I sleep just fine knowing its a knock-off and have a couple hundred extra dollars in the bank account because of that.

Bottom line, it's your money, spend it how you want...hooray for capitalism!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by afpilot82
This has been debated countless times on here already and usually ends up with the conclusion that if you buy the knock-off, somehow you're unpatriotic for not buying USA.

I've run the knock-off for a year with no issues. It hasn't faded, cracked or turn to dust as AEV thinks it will. I sleep just fine knowing its a knock-off and have a couple hundred extra dollars in the bank account because of that.

I know it has been debated, i've been a part of many.

The cheap part doesnt bother me. Its the blatent counterfeiting that bothers me.

And the fact that people buy these copied snorkels. If you want something cheaper, get the rugged ridge. They came up with the idea, and came in at a price less than the AEV.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by afpilot82

Hey dude. I see you are a USAF pilot. That means your salary is paid for by taxpayers. Taxpayers like AEV and its employees. That means that every time you buy a cheap Chinese knock off you take money out of the system that pays your salary and into the wallets of the Chinese Commies that you may one day have to fight. Why give them one penny more then we have to already?

Who knows, that money you paid them for that snorkel may buy the SAM that knocks your ass out of the sky if we ever have to tangle with them. Karma, they say, is a bitch.

At the very least buy a South Korean or Taiwanese knock off. At least they aren't f'in Commies.

Quick Reply: Snorkel question.