Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel Pre-Cleaners

Old 06-23-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel Pre-Cleaners

When I purchased my JK a year and a half ago, someone had been nice enough to install an AEV snorkel. Not sure if I would've spent my money on it, but i'll gladly let a previous owner throw down the cash.

Anyways, we are all aware of the supposed benefits touted by snorkel manufacturers:
  • Higher water fording capability
  • Lower air intake temperatures
  • Less dust and debris being sucked into the air filter

My snorkel came with the "ram air" top, essentially just a hole facing forward. Looks cool, but I've always questioned its ability with the 3rd point. I live in a pretty dusty area down here, many sandy/dirt roads, lots of dust when off-roading, etc. My latest air filter has been in for 5k miles and is already very dirty and has quite a few bugs/ debris sucked into it. No bueno.

I decided to research and procure a prefilter and while doing so, ran into a few snags. Hopefully this will help out a few of you if you choose to go down this route.

First, I have a gen II AEV snorkel. Meaning the intake tube is 4" diameter. Gen I and most other snorkels seem to be 3-3.5" diameter. That leads to a limited selection of pre-filters. The common old style, clear bowl pre filters come in the nice 7" size for 3" tubes, but 4" tubes require bumping to a 10.6" diameter pre cleaner. This isn't that much of an issue, as it turns out they flow much better. The Donaldson pre-cleaner is rated at 339CFM. Compared to the 7" filters are all closer to 250ish CFM. BTW, according to calculations, a 3.6l motor at WOT in high RPMs is capable to ingesting around 350-375cfm. Now, does our motor do that? I have no idea. But, wouldn't want the to restrict that airflow if can help it.
Now, I went a head and purchased the cleaner, mounted it and immediately knew I'd made a mistake. It's huge. Mounted, it stuck out further than my mirror. Not a fan. Driving? No difference, in sound or power. Very happy about that at least. I came home, boxed it up and returned it.
Pro: Cheap. $45? shipped? I like the look of the clear bowl. Proven effective.
Con: Huge. Looks too big. Have to manually empty. Only 75% efficient. Sits above roofline

Next, I looked some more. AEV's precleaner is from Sy-klone. It's uses air to separate out the dirt, then ejects the heavy particles (sand, snow, etc) out a small slit. No need to empty it. It's also much more compact. Odd thing though, from everything I've read (someone can correct me if I'm mistaken), AEV uses a Sy-clone 9001 prefilter. This works on a 4" tube, but is only rated for 100-275CFM. That seems low. Sy-klone does offer a 9001R, same diameter, actually a tad shorter, but rated at 275-350CFM. I searched high and low, only place I could find to purchase a 9001R was directly from Sy-clone. They have a warehouse about 1.5 hrs from here, so a quick call got the job done.
Pros: It's much nicer proportioned.
Cons: Much more expensive. Might require a slight modification.

Donaldson vs Sy-klone

Bottom of the sy-klone

Terrible shot of it mounted

When bottomed out, the edge of the cleaner touches the a-pillar. I thought of trimming the cleaner. For now, I just raised it up so it puts a gap between it and a-pillar and i'll keep an eye on it.

the exit for the heavy particles, facing rearward.

I have not yet driven with the 9001R installed yet. Not expecting to notice anything, except hopefully a cleaner airfilter.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using the clear bowl style for about 2 years now. I have the Gen 1 3" inlet 7" prefilter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2937496357.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	501.2 KB
ID:	650552  
Old 06-24-2016, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
I have been using the clear bowl style for about 2 years now. I have the Gen 1 3" inlet 7" prefilter.
Do you run it 100% of the time or do you switch to the ram air top? Notice any differences? power? fuel econ?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'v got the clear bowl from RR. I think it was $50 no problems. My wife laughs when it gets stuff in it because it just spins around and around. I went down some overgrown trails up in NH last week I managed to get small spaghetti roots in it. I personally like it.

Name:	Snorkel.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	650583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flexed37.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	650584   Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyTrail.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	650585   Click image for larger version

Name:	This Trail?.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	650586   Click image for larger version

Name:	NIght Ride.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	650587  

Old 06-24-2016, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi

When i had one i ran the donaldson top spin.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I use the top spin as well.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by (none)
Do you run it 100% of the time or do you switch to the ram air top? Notice any differences? power? fuel econ?
Most of the time, all year round rain or snow. Once in awhile I'll put the scoop on cause it looks cool, but don't see any real difference in economy but then I am running 37" tires...

The pre filter is definitely better when traveling dusty roads.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

My next project will be this.

Name:	image-4271955802.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	650621  
Old 06-24-2016, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I use the top spin as well.
Also like the Donaldson top spin for the dusty desert trails.

Name:	jeep rack front.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	650635  

Quick Reply: Snorkel Pre-Cleaners