Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel Options 3.6

Old 12-06-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Have 3 friends that have the RUgged Ridge units. 2 have had water issues. All 3 leak air at the fender top connection. The bolts that hold the stack down. All 3 continue to fail the engine smother test. Still the best looking snorkel out there but I would not trust it. But that's me.
Me too. I had planned on getting the Rugged Ridge version. Then started hearing of these issues and that a few with them hydrolocked their engines because a connection came apart unbeknownst to them. That's why I'm going with an AEV. Ugly or not. Don't want to have to check it routinely and then worry when a stream crossing ends up dramatically deeper than it initially looked. AEV's have some "peace of mind" built in.

NORTHRIDGE4X4
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Have 3 friends that have the RUgged Ridge units. 2 have had water issues. All 3 leak air at the fender top connection. The bolts that hold the stack down. All 3 continue to fail the engine smother test. Still the best looking snorkel out there but I would not trust it. But that's me.
That would be very disappointing if this happened. So far so good though. It took about 5-6 hours to install and I have pulled the side panel back off once since to check everything. Took under an hour to pull apart, check connections and put back together. All still seemed air tight. I have had the jeep under water about 3 inches over the hood and no issues. I can see how improperly tightening the high rise intake could result in less than air tight but just make sure you are careful when changing intakes. No issues with visibility on the low intake but minor visibility issue with high intake. Nothing to be concerned about though.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a nice system. It just needs a bit extra attention... Have you tried the leak test?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a nice system. It just needs a bit extra attention... Have you tried the leak test?
I have not. I will do some searching to better understand how to do this.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phljeeper
I have not. I will do some searching to better understand how to do this.
Quite simple.

Remove the air scoop on the upper intake to reveal the open pipe ..
Start the engine ..
Put a heavy plastic bag over the pipe (hold on tight)...
If your hand is big enough you may be able to just put the palm of your hand over the hole to choke it out.
If your system is air tight the engine will stall.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered

Well guys, I finally gave in and ordered the AEV for my '12. Should be getting it within the week. Although I really dislike the looks it seems as though this is the best for performance and state of mind. Install probably wont be until after the holidays as I'm in the Corps and will be traveling but expect an install and test review come January. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thadv95
Well guys, I finally gave in and ordered the AEV for my '12. Should be getting it within the week. Although I really dislike the looks it seems as though this is the best for performance and state of mind. Install probably wont be until after the holidays as I'm in the Corps and will be traveling but expect an install and test review come January. Thanks for the input guys!
Congrats! I haven't ordered mine yet. I will soon. Can't wait to see your pics.

NORTHRIDGE4X4
Old 12-08-2015, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

What about using a gobi roof rack? Are any of them compatible?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Gobi has a bracket for the rugged ridge.I have seen them with the AEV but those are the 2007-11 the riser is smaller diameter
Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know people think the AEV is ugly but I love it. So many people ask me what it is. They are surprised at the purpose and shocked when I show them pics.

Last edited by WINGIT; 12-08-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Snorkel Options 3.6