Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel Options 3.6

Old 12-03-2015, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel Options 3.6

I'm on the market for a snorkel for my 3.6 in my 2012 2dr. What are anyone's opinions? Where I live all the trails are very wet with a lot of stream crossings and ALOT of mud. Also there's a lot of gravel roads leading out to the trails which means a lot of dust. Any opinions on the snorkel? I've seen several guys hydrolock their JK and I don't want to be that guy.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rugged Ridge, AEV, Volant, River Raider to name a few. There are reviews on each in the forum and a show & tell thread for snorkels. Installation, amount of cutting, and price all vary slightly.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the Junkie said......
Old 12-03-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Thadv95
I'm on the market for a snorkel for my 3.6 in my 2012 2dr. What are anyone's opinions? Where I live all the trails are very wet with a lot of stream crossings and ALOT of mud. Also there's a lot of gravel roads leading out to the trails which means a lot of dust. Any opinions on the snorkel? I've seen several guys hydrolock their JK and I don't want to be that guy. Thanks!
I did a lot of research and asked tons of questions. I'm getting an AEV sometime after Christmas. Simplest install, less parts / connections, doesn't create a blind spot on the right side of ur windshield and because of less parts / connections really no periodic maintenance required. Heard of one person recently who had another brand and never checked the connections after install. Was at Rausch Creek here in PA and hydrolocked his jk fording a stream due to a connection coming apart. Hearing that made my decision.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Snorkel

Get the RR Snorkel got it the first month it came out a few years ago, no problems, works well, looks great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	631526  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 12-03-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Get the RR Snorkel got it the first month it came out a few years ago, no problems, works well, looks great!
For the RR is that the one with the optional hi & low mount? Also did you get the pre filter? I've been looking at that and it seems to be the least expensive of the selections. Sweet jeep by the way!

Originally Posted by nhk19
I did a lot of research and asked tons of questions. I'm getting an AEV sometime after Christmas. Simplest install, less parts / connections, doesn't create a blind spot on the right side of ur windshield and because of less parts / connections really no periodic maintenance required. Heard of one person recently who had another brand and never checked the connections after install. Was at Rausch Creek here in PA and hydrolocked his jk fording a stream due to a connection coming apart. Hearing that made my decision.
I've also looked at it but it's up there in the price range. Does it run a pre filter as well?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Thadv95
For the RR is that the one with the optional hi & low mount? Also did you get the pre filter? I've been looking at that and it seems to be the least expensive of the selections. Sweet jeep by the way! I've also looked at it but it's up there in the price range. Does it run a pre filter as well?
You can get a pre-filter for the AEV for an additional $135.00 I think. That will be the route I go. I totally agree that Rugged Ridge's is the coolest looking and was my first choice. Then looked at the install instructions with removing the fender to install when I have rocker armor and sliders to remove first. Then the issue with the low tubes & connection points that can and have come apart for guys unbeknownst to them. One guy had the hydrolock issue. He switched to AEV's after. A couple other guys who have RR's now say they check the clamps 3-4 times a year and always if they know they'll be crossing streams before an outing. Then that it creates a decent blind spot. Those points turned me to AEV's. Just my thoughts. I really don't like the looks of the AEV,,,,,just think it's better for me.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with ^^^^^. As for the pre filter you can get on on Amazon or eBay like this for around $20. These are the ones JD and CAT use on their heavy equipment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1032759266.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	631527  
Old 12-04-2015, 03:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pre Filter

You can purchase the kit with both mounts its 4 bolts to switch back and forth it you want. The pre filter is sold separate but it is available. I have some Install pics of the snorkel in my profile albums. Its a moderate install to do.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhk19
You can get a pre-filter for the AEV for an additional $135.00 I think. That will be the route I go. I totally agree that Rugged Ridge's is the coolest looking and was my first choice. Then looked at the install instructions with removing the fender to install when I have rocker armor and sliders to remove first. Then the issue with the low tubes & connection points that can and have come apart for guys unbeknownst to them. One guy had the hydrolock issue. He switched to AEV's after. A couple other guys who have RR's now say they check the clamps 3-4 times a year and always if they know they'll be crossing streams before an outing. Then that it creates a decent blind spot. Those points turned me to AEV's. Just my thoughts. I really don't like the looks of the AEV,,,,,just think it's better for me.
How much cutting is the AEV? After reading more into I'm leaning towards that although the looks aren't may favorite, a hydro locked jk wouldn't make me very happy.

Quick Reply: Snorkel Options 3.6