Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel intake

Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also another factor we have to consider here. Everyone knows you get out and walk what your going to cross. You might weigh anywhere between 150 and 300 lbs, but your vehicle weighs over 6,000 lbs. So what might support your weight under the water or in the mud, might not support your vehicle.

So you walk it, it all looks hunky dory, you get in your jeep get half-way across, and BAM the water is flowin' over your hood, and is slashing over your doors and into the cab. Now your totally sunk, and even a snorkel can't get you out of this situation.

Besides, when that happens you know water is getting sucked into your T-case . A snorkel might work great in the outback, but sometimes it just doesn't seem practical.

EDIT: Not to mention in this situation, the water is bound to mess up all of your electronics.

Last edited by AZCA jeeper; 02-09-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it, I'm getting a snorkel, some silicone, and an electric trolling motor! Who wants to go fishing go##&^*(t? Somebody bring a calculator for the Bernoulli, I'll bring the beer.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Get a snorkel for that added little insurance policy, and get a custom exhaust to make up for the POSSIBLE loss in power. End of story!

-Brandon
Old 02-10-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yes..ARB is doing a mock-up now.

I called ARB last week and they just had a few Rubicon JK's shippped to them in Australia. Now that the have the Jeeps on site they can work with them. They said Mid to Late summer the Snorkel should be available.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

manufacturing and labor costs arn't cheap in australia... youd think by now ARB woulda built a plant in socal like everyone else to keep costs down. shipping all that stuff from australia and starting with high production costs are some reasons why their stuff is a little costly.... not that you dont get a great product but comon... keep up with the jones'.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MC22958
I have a "mushroom" snorkel on my rig and absolutly would recomend it. I have not noticed any diffrance in performance. Aside from giving me added splash protection it gives me considerable dust protection. I do not know how many of you go out on the trails with groups of people causing dust storms, but I do. I wouldn't give my snorkel up even if I did loose some preformance. Which by the way I haven't noticed any performance loss.
is this the through the cowl mod that started gaining popularity with the TJ's? with the Hummer cap on top? has anyone pulled the cowl yet, to see if there is room to route air through there on the JK?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

we all live in a yellow submarine i don't think my esp would like getting wet:confused:
Old 03-29-2007, 05:13 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is funny!

What i know:

1. When i bought my dirtbike, the first thing i did was REMOVE the damn snorkle from the top of the airbox to get more air into it. By doing so, i basically just made a CAI. (whoever said CAI is more improved flow than cold air, i wholeheartedly agree.)

2. YES. the opened up box allows for an increased chance of water entry. I tend to go AROUND (or better yet jump over) water, not through it. It takes some splashes but as long as you use your head, your fine (though accidents can happen)

3. I had to rejet the carb to allow more fuel for the increased air flow.

4. Increased intake length and the diameter of it has ALOT of effect on carburation/power delivery. Ask an HVAC guy why all the pipes in your basement arent the same size. They vary because the system is tuned to keep up air flow.

5. To expand slightly on 4, the whole combustion process from intake, to fuel delivery to the cylinders (Carb or injected, doesnt matter), to exhaust, is a tuned system. When you start screwing with it, you really do need to address it as a whole, or you really are degrading it. You may pick up some gains here or there, but there is always a corresponding loss somewhere else.

6. I bought my Jeep to explore this continent, not the ocean floor, if i wanted to play submarine i would have joined the Navy. That being said, if i was a duck, i would install a snorkle and take my power losses like a man and not whine about it & stomp my foot and swear it doesnt happen.

7. Last, everyone has their own opinion, YMMV.

Have a good day, try not to drown!

Edit: Just had to post this, it cracks me up!
It has the aforementioned snorkle, and a whale catcher for those REALLY deep puddles!

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-29-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Jesus! Is that a Transformer?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had a snorkel on my JK for about a yr now and I have noticed significant performance gain soon as I added my snorkel. The engine response has improved and I gained few miles per gallon.
So far I have not had any issues with rain entering through my snorkel.

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake