Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel intake

Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bofer84
the main thing i would want one for is for when i make a mistake. You cant always tell how deep something is ya know. I have seen trucks/jeeps go into a mud hole and what looks like it might not be that bad, was where somone with 40s barried their truck, so yea, it comes over the hood, and your just sittin there stuck, and your screwed. I would much rather have the assurance of the snorkel.

snorkel maybe 300$ new engine maybe 3k $
Well once you get it installed, strap it on a dyno and give us the results!

-E
Old 01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1- dyno cost money, that is purely a wast of it...now if i was trying to make the jeep fast..then maybe.

besides, its allready been discussed that the factory intake does a great job, and aftermarket parts wont really give any benefit
Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

1- dyno cost money, that is purely a wast of it...now if i was trying to make the jeep fast..then maybe.

besides, its allready been discussed that the factory intake does a great job, and aftermarket parts wont really give any benefit
Well, it is really a progression:

Snorkle = really good at keeping water out, really bad at getting air in.
Stock airbox = average at keeping water out and getting air in
Cone filter style intake = really bad at keeping water out, really good at getting air in

i still dont think its going to hurt you at all, it prolly will be better over stock.

As far as the high flow charts, we all know how charts can be swayed to have them look a certain way. You really dont see any gains until you put a throttle body spacer in, more air, + more fuel = better everything. but then, you have to reprograme the computer so allow more fuel, so your not haveing a cell show up.....haha to many factors for the 200$ or so worth.
You wouldn't need to upgrade the fuel system or flash the computer just to handle a better air filter or exhaust. You might want to reset it to get rid of the long term fuel/air adjustment, and let it re-learn, but the fuel pump and injectors are usually chosen for about 75% duty cycle from the factory. Plenty of growth room, unless you're talking about going FI.

-E
Old 01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default snorkel

I have a "mushroom" snorkel on my rig and absolutly would recomend it. I have not noticed any diffrance in performance. Aside from giving me added splash protection it gives me considerable dust protection. I do not know how many of you go out on the trails with groups of people causing dust storms, but I do. I wouldn't give my snorkel up even if I did loose some preformance. Which by the way I haven't noticed any performance loss.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Can you post a picture of this? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

anothing thing, my friend brought up the other day while discussing this. he said that you are more likely to screw up in an older vehical then you are in a newer one. newer ones have sealed wires, no exposure, and fuses for everything. therefor you would be less likely to have something go wrong electrical
Old 01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

FYI, I was reading the JK brochure looking for some info, and found out that your warranty is void on damage caused by fording water deeper than 30 inches at 5MPH.

-E
Old 01-19-2007, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
FYI, I was reading the JK brochure looking for some info, and found out that your warranty is void on damage caused by fording water deeper than 30 inches at 5MPH.

-E
When I bought my TJ, the dealer told me that aslong as the water doesnt go past the top of the headlights, your are covered.

300kms later....Had to get the tractor out.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigwrm
When I bought my TJ, the dealer told me that aslong as the water doesnt go past the top of the headlights, your are covered.

300kms later....Had to get the tractor out.
Heh... well, this is straight from the JK sales material. Max fording depth is 30 inches at 5mph. I'm guessing this is the height of the diff breather tubes or something else it's a really bad idea to get water in.

-E
Old 02-09-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to challenge the debate of better preformance but I helped a fire fighter friend install an ARB on his 05 Rubicon. He wanted it to cut down on trail dust and fording insurance. We rerouted the all the breather tubes and siliconed them into the snorkle tube inside the engine compartment. This effectivley stopped any water in the Diff's . He has found holes in the river 2 inches above the hood accidently on 2 occasions with no damage to any electronics. Amazing how well his tub and doors were sealed. Chris

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake