Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel intake

Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
I watched the whole video... where did they show what engine is under the hood and how it is wired? Or what efforts were taken to waterproof it other than installing the snorkle? Or if it started up the next time they turned the key? Or if the pumpkins filled with water and turned the gear lube to pudding?

-E

Exactly..

I'm sure you can make it work on the JK, but at what cost, and how much money are you going to have waterproofing all the electronics?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think we are missing the point of a snorkle. It's not so you can play submarine with your jeep. It's so you don't suck water into the engine when the stream crossing was a bit deeper than you expected. If you off road with stream crossings there is always the possibility of a deep spot that you didn't know was there (even if you got out and first walked the crossing on foot).

If you do get in deep enough to get water in the breather tube of your differential, you can still drive home and service it. But if you suck water into the engine, well, AAA doesn't do off-road towing.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JacksJeep
I think we are missing the point of a snorkle. It's not so you can play submarine with your jeep. It's so you don't suck water into the engine when the stream crossing was a bit deeper than you expected. If you off road with stream crossings there is always the possibility of a deep spot that you didn't know was there (even if you got out and first walked the crossing on foot).

If you do get in deep enough to get water in the breather tube of your differential, you can still drive home and service it. But if you suck water into the engine, well, AAA doesn't do off-road towing.
That's a fair statement. As a form of insurance, I can almost see doing it. However, the stock air-box intake is pretty much the highest point in the engine bay, and the way it is designed it would keep incidental splashes from making it into the engine. I think you'd have to get water up over your hood before a snorkle would even come into play. At that point I'm betting things are already FUBAR before you gulp water. However, I am willing to concede that it has value as a safety net in water crossings.

I'm also willing to concede that, like a 16 year old who puts a giant wing on the back of his front-wheel drive Honda, it has some value purely as a show piece. However, I just hate to see someone be misled into thinking that they will get a performance boost out of it, when in fact it is quite the opposite.

I'll just mount a depth finder to the front of my JK

-E
Old 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
JK Freak

come on, you know that giant wing adds like 20 hp...

but on a serios note, there are many times where i have splashed down into a deep puddle/mud hole, and had the water come well over the hood for a couple of seconds. the snorkel helps for this case for sure. Performance wise, well, lets first state that why on earth would you put a cold air intake into a jeep that is made for offroading, its going to get muddy, and nasty, and from what i have read, that stock airbox does a pretty good job, ie, you wont get much performance increase at all. That being said, i would say that having the inlet up high, above everything helps.

and.....it looks cool....haha
Old 01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bofer84
come on, you know that giant wing adds like 20 hp...

but on a serios note, there are many times where i have splashed down into a deep puddle/mud hole, and had the water come well over the hood for a couple of seconds. the snorkel helps for this case for sure. Performance wise, well, lets first state that why on earth would you put a cold air intake into a jeep that is made for offroading, its going to get muddy, and nasty, and from what i have read, that stock airbox does a pretty good job, ie, you wont get much performance increase at all. That being said, i would say that having the inlet up high, above everything helps.
My gut feeling is that all of the "cold air intakes" currently on the market really aren't changing the intake temperature much at all. They would be better described as "high flow intakes". The relatively tiny opening on the stock airbox, which is great for keeping out water, is a pretty serious restriction for airflow. Those aftermarket intakes with the giant cone filters just flow a lot more air. From the dyno results that have been posted, they really do perform measurably better than the stock intake and filter.

If you're building a Jeep that you *know* won't need to traverse any water, I'd say go for it, get a better intake. Rock crawlers, light duty trail runners, daily drivers, etc, could really benefit.

If you want the look or the security of the snorkle, go for it, just be prepared for the drop in volumetric efficiency that is going to hurt you all the way across the powerband.

-E
Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

i still dont think its going to hurt you at all, it prolly will be better over stock.

As far as the high flow charts, we all know how charts can be swayed to have them look a certain way. You really dont see any gains until you put a throttle body spacer in, more air, + more fuel = better everything. but then, you have to reprograme the computer so allow more fuel, so your not haveing a cell show up.....haha to many factors for the 200$ or so worth.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
why on earth would you put a cold air intake into a jeep that is made for offroading, its going to get muddy, and nasty
I have always wondered this myself. Over the past several years, I have seen 3 hydro-locked engines, and each of them had a cold air intake - completely exposed filter element. I never understood that one. Is a few extra ponies worth it? I have always run out of traction before running out of power........
Old 01-18-2007, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
I keep looking at this thread and wanting to explain about plenum volume and pressure, and the velocity of the air charge, and tuning an engine for various RPM ranges, and cams... but then I realize it'll never work

The "Cold Air Intake will give you 15 horsepower cause it's colder" crowd is here to stay

Most people will see something that looks cool, and then try to justify it to themselves and others. How many people are going to ford water deep enough to need a snorkle that sits 6 feet off the ground? How many will actually do all the other modifications necessary to let the engine and electrical system run in those conditions?

If you were out actually trying to get from point A to point B, and you saw a river 5 feet deep, your first inclination should be to find a shallower spot to ford. Dunking your pumpkins isn't a terribly good idea, let alone your entire drive train.

And no. Having an eight foot long intake with 90 degree bends in it is horrible for volumetric efficiency. It will rob torque no matter how cold the air outside is.

-E
Well said. For those of you still doubting, reread this. He is right. Period.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

The JK is my first "jeep" I have had (and still have) a number of yota landcruisers, i think this is more of a jeep thing.. There is never a discussion of adding a cai to a landcruiser, you either leave it stock, or get the snorkel going. Landcruiser owners seem fine with their complete lack of power (for better and for worse) heck my bj60 (gone now but not forgotten) had 90 horse and weighed close to 2x a jeep 2-door.

I really think that a lot of cai are sold to jeep folk that really have no interest in really getting their vehicle dirty. Note that i said a lot, by no means all of them sold. I can see benifit for a rock crawler, or a very light duty trail rider. Mabey its more of a location thing, i cant think of many trails out our way that dont have rivers/creek crossings. Some of them can get deep, really deep.

Agree about the rest of the waterproofing though, a snorkel isnt the only thing necassary.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

the main thing i would want one for is for when i make a mistake. You cant always tell how deep something is ya know. I have seen trucks/jeeps go into a mud hole and what looks like it might not be that bad, was where somone with 40s barried their truck, so yea, it comes over the hood, and your just sittin there stuck, and your screwed. I would much rather have the assurance of the snorkel.

snorkel maybe 300$ new engine maybe 3k $

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake