Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel intake

Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air quality, denseness, and temperature aside- there's more "Water Proofing" that needs to be done. You can't just slap on a snorkel and jump in the deep end. I know on the TJ there's a bunch of area's that need silicone to protect Under hood electrical and I'd imagine the JK's being more technologically advanced there would inturn be more area's not so water friendly.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

breather lines as well. the TJ auto's had ridiculously short (and difficult to modify) breathers. i don't have my JK yet to look at them, but it is something else to address for deeper crossings.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

ok, wow, just read this thread, and couldnt help but reply. Snorkel are better then cold air intakes...which actually isnt a cold air intake. a normal system takes air fron under the wheel well, so its not cold, just not as hot. The snorkel system utilizes true air from outside the engine bay.

For those of you talking about dust, thats what a filter is for...duhhh. its not like you just slap a snorkel on there with no filter.

and the air flow part. while it might not be the most efficiant way of getting air to the engine, i promisse you wont notice the diffrence even if you had one or the other, you drive a jeep, its slow. now that being said, pick up a short straw and then a long straw and suck air through both, they you get the same amount of air, just as quickly.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Once again with the bad analogies. Actually go try this. It's not true. Ever heard of Bernoulli?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Once again with the bad analogies. Actually go try this. It's not true. Ever heard of Bernoulli?
Well, not until I Googled it. And if I did I forgot.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html
Old 01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
I keep looking at this thread and wanting to explain about plenum volume and pressure, and the velocity of the air charge, and tuning an engine for various RPM ranges, and cams... but then I realize it'll never work

The "Cold Air Intake will give you 15 horsepower cause it's colder" crowd is here to stay

Most people will see something that looks cool, and then try to justify it to themselves and others. How many people are going to ford water deep enough to need a snorkle that sits 6 feet off the ground? How many will actually do all the other modifications necessary to let the engine and electrical system run in those conditions?

If you were out actually trying to get from point A to point B, and you saw a river 5 feet deep, your first inclination should be to find a shallower spot to ford. Dunking your pumpkins isn't a terribly good idea, let alone your entire drive train.

And no. Having an eight foot long intake with 90 degree bends in it is horrible for volumetric efficiency. It will rob torque no matter how cold the air outside is.

-E
Old 01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

snorkels were practical on Willys jeeps they had very little electronics to worry about., Your wasting your cash if you think its going to work on a JK

If you like the looks than go for it. But its not practical on newer jeeps.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

AHH, burnoulli's principal...yes, but his principal deals with a standard rate of air flow, not changing air flow rates, as you would when an engine reves. True, you will always get better air flow with bent piping then jagged angles, but in this case, you will not notice a diffrence between the 2, and as stated before, you get cleaner denser air, wich prolly makes up for the diffrence. i would have to work some math but i dont feel like doing it.

Here is a link of what a snorkel can do for your suv...hmmmmm looks like it has plenty of electronics on it being a early 80s vehical....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rkel+4x4&hl=en
Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

It would have been nice to have had a snorkel crossing Kane Creek in Moab. See my avatar! And this was the low water ford.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
AHH, burnoulli's principal...yes, but his principal deals with a standard rate of air flow, not changing air flow rates, as you would when an engine reves. True, you will always get better air flow with bent piping then jagged angles, but in this case, you will not notice a diffrence between the 2, and as stated before, you get cleaner denser air, wich prolly makes up for the diffrence. i would have to work some math but i dont feel like doing it.
Actually, his principle not only deals with changing air flow rates, the entire thing is all *about* changing rates of airflow:

Bernoulli's Principle states that as the speed of a moving fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases.

In other words, as the speed (rate) of flow changes, so does the pressure.

Originally Posted by bofer84
Here is a link of what a snorkel can do for your suv...hmmmmm looks like it has plenty of electronics on it being a early 80s vehical....
I watched the whole video... where did they show what engine is under the hood and how it is wired? Or what efforts were taken to waterproof it other than installing the snorkle? Or if it started up the next time they turned the key? Or if the pumpkins filled with water and turned the gear lube to pudding?

-E

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake