Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel intake

Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i was wondering how it kept rain out... i would think the intake should actually like face downwards or something... I still want one, b/c my air box is filled with mud now... the bottom is brown but the inside past the filter is spotless! good design in the stock box if you ask me.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apparently there are little holes along the downtube where the water can empty out of before going to the airbox.

Last edited by jeepnxj3; 01-02-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, snorkles are worse than stock. Compare the tube to the stock airbox, and how far the air has to travel. Also lets in a lot more dust and dirt.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tjen97
Yep, snorkles are worse than stock. Compare the tube to the stock airbox, and how far the air has to travel. Also lets in a lot more dust and dirt.
any proof of the more dirt claim? One of the other reasons they are used extensivly in the outback and desert conditions is for the apparent better handling of dust and dirt, as most of the dust doesnt reach as high as the snorkel, it stays down lower closer to the hood, where the regular filter box intake is (let alone cai). They are used extensivly in dusty environments due to this.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, because it is higher, it helps with the dust situation. I'm just pointing out some other problems since a snorkel is not good in every situation, such as a DD.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I went under my hood to look - I have a cold air intake that I installed. Exactly where would you run the piping for a snorkel - without moving a lot of stuff?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by britjk
I went under my hood to look - I have a cold air intake that I installed. Exactly where would you run the piping for a snorkel - without moving a lot of stuff?
sawzall.
snorkels are also relatively low (not the intake, but the bend), making them a little vulnerable to some stuff on the trail.

you can run a tube through the cowl, cut a hole and throw a cap on it, with a filter canister under the hood for a snorkel.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Wait hold up.

If you install a snokel on your jeep, does that mean that is the only place your engine receives air afterwards?

I thought there was a switch you could change air flow from the air intake to the snokel.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
Wait hold up.

If you install a snokel on your jeep, does that mean that is the only place your engine receives air afterwards?

I thought there was a switch you could change air flow from the air intake to the snokel.
the snorkel is an intake replacement, so yes it's the only place the Jeep gets air.

I think that an intake on a JK would look nice
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
Wait hold up.

you could rig something like that up, like a y-gate, but why? and you would have to make sure it was a perfect seal. drawing from the stock airbox in a river crossing would be counter productive
there are guys who have a joint under the hood, so they can remove their snorkel and reattach the airbox after wheeling...and just put some sort of magnetic sticker or whatever over the hole...
it's a preference thing.
i'm a big fan of the hummer snorkel mod. i had the parts for it for my TJ in my garage, i was just waiting for some nice weather. when the JK get's here, i'm going to have to pull some things off and take some measurements to see if any of it is salvagable...

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake