Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel intake

Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel intake

Anyone know when a snorkel intake kit is expected to hit the market? any word on the main guys developing one for the jk?

can't be too much diffrent looking then this? or anyone know if this kit will work?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, without a doubt, I'm sure that ARB is developing one. Last time I talked to them, they said they hoped to have some JK products out by Off Road Impact. I'll be there and will be sure to take some pics and find out the details if they have one by then or expect to have one soon.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

i have been wondering when a snorkel set-up would be mentioned. All these cold air intakes leave me cold dont want to sip water into my vehicle. Not to mention if you get a snorkel and then a filter on top of it, you pretty much have the cleanest system possible, as its above most of the road grime and dirt.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are there any downsides to getting a snorkel intake? Ive been poking around and it sounds like a snorkel somewhat acts as a cold air intake improving gas milage. Other than cost are there any major faults to such a system, or does the ability to wade through water out weigh any faults?

Thank you guys in advance
Old 01-01-2007, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Actually, performance with a snorkel is usually worse than stock (except fording performance, obviously). The intake air has to go through about 4-5 ft more pipe, which looks to the engine as a smaller airflow (more losses).

I know volant sold snorkel/CAIs for TJs, but I don't know anything about the mechanism.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

yes and no, if all things where constant maybe it would be worse because of the longer tubing. but the piping is usally a larger diameter then stock, and the top of most aftermarket snorkel kits have a "Ram Air" scoop which by design increases airflow in the system. so in reality although you have longer tubing the design compesates for it. i would have to see actual dyno tests to see any loss or gain in power. but i would wager you don't loose power and gain the wading funciton. although power gains would have to be shown. i believe the system conpensates for the loss the length would induce.
just my professional observation
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

as well, the air is a colder denser air than that in the engine bay. I just looked around for some dyno results and failed. But in my eyes it should be a bit of a bonus.. with the added fact you dont have nearly the chance of getting water in your engine. Cold air intakes have always scared me for wheeling in anything but the driest of areas. And even in dry areas, the snorkel was also designed to take in a LOT less dust than any intake in an engine bay, due to the nature of it being above most of the dust swirls created by driving
Old 01-02-2007, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before reading anything at all I would have assumed what Phishjeep said was true as well, snorkels decrease power/fuel economy.
After stumbling upon a few sites, it sounds like snorkels act similar to but not quite as cold air intakes or ram air induction.
http://www.omninerd.com/2006/07/16/articles/57
This website has a whole bunch of pretty graphs and such but no dyno tests. Snorkel bit is half way down.

A coworker of mine who autocrosses just told me that longer air tubes mean more low end power. I dont know what to make of that really. I want numbers!

Last edited by Major Ho; 01-02-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Not exactly a scientific writeup. Colder air is great, but more flow is the chief advantage of most "cold air" intake systems. There are advantages to snorkels- power is not one of them.

I like snorkels, and will probably replace my Airaid with one when this Jeep is replaced as a daily driver and becomes my dedicated trail rig.

MY professional opinion is that there are many losses in the convoluted piping used to make a snorkel, and the fording ability is countered by losses in power, torque, and mileage.

BTW, I can't wait to see pictures of the snorkels you put in, and if I'm wrong about the numbers, I'd love to know that, too.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
most of the people i know with snorkels run them backwards . . .
huh? like the intake part facing the rear? I've never seen that, but it probably keep the bugs out, haha

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake