Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: What outer diameter snorkel do you think will look better?
3.5" (4.5" would be too huge and ugly)
60.71%
4.5" (3.5" would look weak on this Jeep)
35.71%
Crash, stop making this stuff for your Jeep. It all sucks.
3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Snorkel Diameter Poll

Old 09-26-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel Diameter Poll

So...much to everyones relief, I am finally constructing a final model of my snorkel.
No more homemade plumbing look.

The inner airflow area is 3" in diameter.
There are two different plans for outer construction.
The easier would produce a snorkel with an outer diameter of 4.5".
The more difficult would have an outer diameter of 3.5".

My Jeep is fairly wide and bulky, so I think I could pull off the look of the 4.5".

Part of me, however, thinks something closer to what everyone else has might have a cleaner look.....so the 3.5" might work better.

sidenote: the 3.5" might not support the weight of the occasional usage of the skull intake.

Anyway, give me your thoughts, or just check into the poll at the top.
Thanks.

EDIT: here are some pics of the current snorkel.
Thickest part at the joints is 4", straight pipe is 3.5" (to give you an idea of size comparison).

And a photo with the skull intake, in case you are wondering what the hell we are talking about.

Last edited by AlmightyCrash; 09-26-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

wow...slowest thread Ive ever posted.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

4.5 seems like it would be really big, but if you can pull it off i think it would be sick but if its easier to do the 3.5 maybe you can show us the plans for it or something along those lines so we can get a better idea of how big the 4.5 would be compared to the rest of your jeep. Whatever you do im sure its gonna be sick, your whole jeep and everything you do to it is crazy and i love it
Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi

I say bigger. Crash, I seem to remember that you have always been going for a bit of "toy" look. Going big helps keep the look imo.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

either size will follow the exact same path/lines as the current one.

for the larger, i would just slide a flex hose over the existing snorkel, and fiberglass it.

For the smaller, I would build a new pipe and fiberglass it.

They would all have a 3" inner diameter.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default pics

make em both and show em then we can decideeeee
Old 09-26-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

This is my first post here so first off hello to all. If your going to use fiberglass another option might be one of those cheap foam pool noodles. I'm not sure of the diameter but I think I have seen some jumbo ones that looked like they would work plus they have a hole in the middle that you could slip some type of malleable material (thin wall conduit) so you could bend it to the shape you need and the noodle would provide a nice smooth surface to fiberglass over then ones it hardened you should be able to slip the noodle out. You might have to cover the noodle first with plastic & tape so the resin doesn’t eat the foam I would try a test piece first. Best of all you can get those noodles for around a buck at most dollar stores. I think I saw the jumbo ones at wal-mart.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by afish
This is my first post here so first off hello to all. If your going to use fiberglass another option might be one of those cheap foam pool noodles. I'm not sure of the diameter but I think I have seen some jumbo ones that looked like they would work plus they have a hole in the middle that you could slip some type of malleable material (thin wall conduit) so you could bend it to the shape you need and the noodle would provide a nice smooth surface to fiberglass over then ones it hardened you should be able to slip the noodle out. You might have to cover the noodle first with plastic & tape so the resin doesn’t eat the foam I would try a test piece first. Best of all you can get those noodles for around a buck at most dollar stores. I think I saw the jumbo ones at wal-mart.
Welcome, Afish. Im honored to host your first post.

Thanks for the input about the noodle.
It sounds like it would work great as a base for the fiberglass, except for the angles I need it to run.
I dont think we could get the noodle out once we finished.
Ill post a pic of the current snorkel in the original post, so you can see whats going on.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Crash I just checked out your gallery to get a better look at your current snorkel. I don’t think you would have to many problems using the noodle if you used some form release oil it shouldn’t even stick to the noodle and if it did after your first layer of mat you should be able to make a single slit the length of it to pop the noodle out it should be flexible enough and spring back to its original form so you could fish it up with a few more layers for strength. If you cant get the noodle to bend tight enough you could miter it with a sharp kitchen knife (when the wife isn’t around) or saw and glue it back with hot glue to form the angle you need you could use a small grinder to round off the pointy corners after mitering. I also checked out some aftermarket snorkels (river raiders) I kind of like the lower profile square’ish version and that also looks like a pretty simple fiberglass project. You could easily glue up some extruded insulation board from Home depot and shape it with knife, saw and sand it smooth then just glass it leaving the back side open extract the foam and then stretch some more fiberglass around to fish it off. Its harder to explain it than I thought it was going to be. Either way I don’t know your skill level and just offering some suggestions. I always try to look for easily shapeable items to make fiberglass molds with. As far as the diameter goes I would also be concerned with creating a blind spot by making it to large. Other than that have at and post some pics of the project after you get going.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eisenjj
As far as I am concerned....If you made it out of 1" and put that skull on it, it would still look bad ass!!!
Any diameter would still be badass with the skull on top!

Quick Reply: Snorkel Diameter Poll